Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Between A Rock & Hard Place !!! >

Between A Rock & Hard Place !!!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Between A Rock & Hard Place !!!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Between A Rock & Hard Place !!!

So October 10th, 2016 I harvested a bear, my friend does good taxidermist work, his prices are great and he doesn't ask me for a deposit, he did a coyote mount for me a few years ago and it came out great. He isn't a full time taxidermist.

On the next day October 11th, 2016 two friends of mine also got bears, they asked me where to take them, and they took them to my friend.

Fast forward to the 3rd week of September 2017, my friend calls me to tell me he will start my bear within two weeks, I mail him a check for payment in full, within a few days my two other friends are hinting that they are anxious about getting their bears, being I have numerous bear mounts and the fact one friend has cancer the other is disabled I tell my friend to do both of their bears first then mine. They picked up their bears on the same day in mid November 2017.

With hunting season and the holidays I never brought my bear up until late January 2018 with a text message, I finally got a reply on February 3rd, 2018 "WORKING ON DEER, ONCE THEY ARE DONE I WILL BE WORKING ON YOUR BEARS" (I got a bear in October 2017, I paid him 1/2 of the total). Come April it will be 18 months, not concerned about it, as I know family and his real job comes first but what gets me ticked off is the fact he tossed me on the back burner for others, I paid in full, sent him 3 customers that I know of maybe more that I don't know of, I'm not only a paying customer, I'm a friend we helped each other during our divorces, we hunted together out of state, I talked him into the career he is in now, he is a great guy. I texted the other day: "WHAT'S UP, HOPE ALL IS WELL.....ETA ON MY FIRST BEAR?" no reply at all

My girl thinks he used my funds for other projects, my friends are lost cause they know him as I do as being up front and honest, and another friend suggested tell him either get my first bear done or just give me back my money (minus the tannery bill), and pelt

Myself I just want decent communication, he knows how I am....but then at this point red flags are starting to go up
Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

He sent a reply text fully apologizing for his actions, and that he took on way to much work then he could handle
Old 03-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Spike

I had the same exact thing happen to me. I think being such good friends and he was running significantly behind he knew I would except whatever he decided to do with my mount. We still are great friends but no longer does my mounts. He Said, he was happy because he spent way too much time on my stuff and that it wasn't even worth his time. Just take them elsewhere next time you'll both appreciate it.