Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Questions About Becoming A Taxidermist >

Questions About Becoming A Taxidermist

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Questions About Becoming A Taxidermist

Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default Questions About Becoming A Taxidermist

I have decided I want to become a Taxidermist. I was wondering if any experienced Taxidermists could let me know what tools are the most helpful in the trade that I need to get before I start. I was wanting to do competition style mounts with lots of detail. I am very good at art and am a perfectionist. I feel taxidermy would be a great hobby to engage in until I get my name out there and can actually bring in some cash. I realize I can't just start making 30k a year off the bat and may not ever make that much but around here we need a good Taxidermist. The best we've got did my first deer and right away I knew something was wrong with it. The ears are set too low, the inside of the nose is black, eye shape is all wrong... I hate it to be honest. Everyone else thinks it looks great but I can tell its not right... Like I said that's the best Taxidermist in this county. Also how would you guys feel about a girl doing your mount? I work on cars alot and cannot get a job around here because Apparently shop owners still think a woman's place is in the kitchen... Any advice and info will be appreciated, i even welcome constructive criticism. Thanks guys!

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

To much to explain and this isn't the best site to get much info for a begginer. Head to the taxidermy site, and ask away. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php#3
Best place to start is going to be on deer. Either go to a school, get some training videos like rick carters mounting whitetail A to Z, or best of all get some one on one trainging with a good taxidermist as well as join your states taxidermy association. Good luck. I'm t3_Kyle on that site if ya need some info.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Spike

x2 its a great site. I've learned alot from it.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

I went to Colorado Institute of Taxidermy and it was a great school. I would suggest one thing have your specimens picked out before you go to a school if you do. Buying specimens to mounts from institute's can get expensive. Never became a full blown taxidermist but mounting for friends and family sure saves them a ton of money.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to a reputable school. We used to offer a taxidermy school here where I work but we no longer have it. We got too busy with the tanning and taxidermy to take time to run a school anymore. As far as girls doing mounts, one of our best taxidermists is a female.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Spike

A very good school is Pro Mount School of Taxidermy in Billings, MT. He does one on one training. He's been doing it for 30 plus years.