Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Wrong Cape

Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wrong Cape

I had a deer mounted and the taxidermist gave me the wrong cape can the antlers be removed and a new cape installed,I don't know how this happened but I don't like it at all.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Fist question, do you KNOW he gave you the wrong cape, or do you just THINK he gave you the wrong cape?
Second question. What purpose would there be to removing the cape and mounting with a new one? It still wouldn't be the original. Maybe I'm missing something.
The answer is maybe. More often than not, the best way to go about it is to just remount the whole thing. It seldom makes any sense to try to remove a cape apply a new one. It's much faster to just start from scratch.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i have heard of re-caping.....but i think it would cost the taxi more that doing yours...how do ya know it aint yours?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

well my bucks head was the size of a bull cow and this cape is the size of a doe he admitted he mixed my cape with another head This is the mount and it looks like crap if I could say so myself,I feel like I paid enough money for a quality mount and I realize mistakes happin but my god is this the mount I am suppose to accept he never screws up on my brothers mounts,when I shot this buck he was in a full rut with a swelled neck now look at him.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

also in the middle of the neck on this cape the hair is sticking up and there is no getting it to stay down have tried everything.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have pics of this buck before it was mounted somewhere on the web I will find them and show you the original head.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

unfortunately this is the only pic i can find right now
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

as far as markings, it looks like the same deer..how bout another pic of the mount from the otherside plz?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Honestly, that mount has WAY bigger issues than a small cape. But, the white around the eyes and nose do not match the kill pic so it is the wrong one. Did he find the right cape? If so, take it and your antlers to a good taxidermist and have it remounted. That's the best option.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah its defiantly not the original cape he told me that,he doesnt have the original he put it on a different persons deer.I am thinking about waiting until I kill a swelled up buck with a small rack and mounting it myself just have a taxidermist clean and tumble the hide the guy is not a bad taxidermist if he takes his time but he sure screwed me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.