Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Would you fix it? >

Would you fix it?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Would you fix it?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default Would you fix it?

I have been bow hunting for around 9 yrs now. Although I have shot some nice bucks, this year was my best. This will be my first deer that I have had mounted. He was a 14 point. On tips of main beams he had three points coming off both sides. kind of like a tripod. they were roughly 3-4 inches long. On his right side he had one broke off. It would of matched other side almost perfect, he is a unique looking buck. Would you mount him the way you harvested him or would you repair (one small) tine to make him all he was? Myself, I think he would look better if it was repaired ( I know theres your answer) but was just wandering if most people fix them or just let them be? Enclosed is a pic and its hard to see, but just cusious.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Would you fix it?-buck.jpg  
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Spike

leave it alone. It will not be able to count it under any scoring system if you fix it.I have always felt you get what you kill when you kill it.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

mount as he is
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

repair make him look as good as possible
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Spike

NICE DEER!!!!
Several years ago I shot (I think) one of the brow tines off a nice buck, it wasn't going to be scored or anything so I had the taxidermist repair the tine, and the mount looks good, but if I were to do it over I would leave it alone, I think some of these flaws give the mount charactor, but it is up to you, either way it is going to look great!! Den

Last edited by mnnden; 12-04-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Mount him as is.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Spike

I would leave him alone. he broke it off fighting or marking his area. It gives him personality and character. Nobody's perfect!

I had to make the same choice a few years ago with an old 10pt.He had one tine that was busted off about halfway and his shoulders were scuffed up from itching (back far enough from the cape)he had nicks in his ears and a large scar on his chest.What a life!
April
Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

if ya have it repaired you'll probably be tellin the "how they fixed this tine" story," ,,,,, leave it like it is and tell the " it was 5 am, i had doe **** on my boot, i dont know why" story instead ..nice job on the buck btw
Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

just wanderen what are you going to do with it?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Leave it.... you dont repair an animals horn after you harvest him. If thats the case might as well add a couple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.