Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Interested in trying taxidermy >

Interested in trying taxidermy

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Interested in trying taxidermy

Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default Interested in trying taxidermy

I would like to try my hand in taxidermy. I have never tried it and I don't know anyone else that does it that could help get me started. I am a college student so I have a small budget. I was looking for a kit that offers everything I need to get started (I found a squirrel mounting kit). Does anybody recommend a kit? Should i buy a movie to learn the basics or is their an online website i could learn the basics from?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interested in trying taxidermy

A deer is the best thing to learn the basics. This movie is a good one by joe meder commercial whitetails. http://www.mckenziesp.com/taxid_store/Print_catalog/full.asp?page=710. You are prolly going to want to send your cape out to tan I supose(I tan my own but you need some shaving equipment for that but that takesa commitment of money) so find yourself a good tannery. Mckenzieproducts are very easy to work with too for your supplies..... Jump onto taxidermy.net and ask, those guys will be able to give you alot of insight into good learning materials and techniques. WCL