Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 08 mount, opinions >

08 mount, opinions

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

08 mount, opinions

Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default 08 mount, opinions

Took this guy in September and gothim back last night. Price was $355, the taxi said he doesn't do habitats (no good at them). I'm looking for some autumn colored leaves, where can I get some? Any other ideas for the base, I'm thinking of putting some leaves witha a shed antler kind of sticking out like the leaves have fallen on it? Let me know what you think of the mount.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 08 mount, opinions

Beautiful mount, nice deer. Just a thought for you, go check a local florist or a Michael's. The florist could give some insight and suggestions.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow 355 with the base??? Your taxi is not makin much!! Habitats are easy to do. As far as the mount it is pretty good exspecially for that price. just a couple lil things I see off. The ear buts are wrong shape (also it looks as if he used ear back liners and tried to make them ears forward or something... If the ears are supose to be back the bottom part of the ear should be rotated back instead of forward like that), eyes look more agressive than alert (see how the upper lid is flat horizontal, it should be slightly higher in the front and slope to the back), and that redish color around the mouth seems off. All in all a nice "clean" mount and clean is aways a big plus. Cant beat the price for how nice of a job he did. I love that form exspecially with early capes and with some habitat you can really make it pop.... Yeah for habitat check out craft stores or go to mckenzie taxidermy supply online and they have a ton of stuff you could order. Put some grass in there of moss or wood and leaves..... Get creative. Here is the one I did on that form this year. Will be starting another one soon. WCL

Same form this is ears back on a mid oct cape. My front upper eye lids are a bit to high though and my ear buts could use a lil work too I supose.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thought is create it with more green vegitation than the fall leaves because imguessing there wasnt fall leaves when you shot him. Maybe get some fake grass like the grass in your kill pic and make a dirt ground with rocks and pebbles. WCL
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the ideas and critiques WCL. I always love to hear what the trained eye sees verses what the untrained. I'm extremely happy with the mount/price and will prob. let this gentlemen do more for me in the future.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Looks very nice,very cheap price, I just brought one in and it is $525 without a base plus $45 to fix a broken tine.
Redclub
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice looking mount... esp. for the price... wow...

I am not a big habitat fan... I like it just like that!

There is a local crafts store here called Michaels... they are a chain.. not sure if they have them down your way... they sell fake branches & leaves... I know a local taxi who just gets his stuff there...

Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is certainly a nice mount for the money! $450 with no base is the norm around here. I love the early season capes...so cool. I agree with WCL....ears are way off. They are too far down the neck, need to be up tighter to the antlers. Not a huge issue though, the avg person would never know and overall looks GREAT for the $$$. I've seen a WHOLE LOT WORSE for A TON more $. Congrats on a nice deer!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Nice deer. I'm not a big fan of the extreme muscle tone lines that some of the guys are using these days.I never see deer in the wild with lines so vividly defined. Makes them look like seal skin rather than a fur hide, but it's purely a personal preference thing.The mount looks great.

I like your idea of leaves for habitat, but if you add a shed itmay detractfrom the rack of the mount depending on the size and color of the shed you use. How about some oak leaves mixed with acorns?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

WV - You know I've noticed on the last 4 deer I've had mounted that they all have put the ears somewhat low. If you think that's bad you should see the two 8's I killed 2 years ago[&:]. There is one other guy local that would have done an awesome job, but he's extremely high and extremely slow. He's had my Dad's deer for 3 years, but he mounted my very first deer in '96 and to the day it looks fantastic.

IA - I hear ya, looks like my deer was on the juice. The shed would be small as we don't have very many big deer here. Probably something off a 14inch wide 8 pointer.

Quick Reply: 08 mount, opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.