Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 08 mount, opinions >

08 mount, opinions

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

08 mount, opinions

Old 02-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 08 mount, opinions

NC, I like the mount alot. The ear butts were the only thing I saw looked little off. I like the muscle tone alot myself, I don't see that much up here in NY becasue our capes are thicker & heavier. I presume your from N. Carolina being NChunterman. I once mounted a buck from N. Carolina, and I was amazed at how much thinner the hide & hair was. I was able to get more detail out of the face & neck with that mount. So I don't think some realize the muscle tone comes with the difference in deer from different regions of the U.S.
Like mentioned I'd look at McKenzie taxidermy supply, you can also check Van Dyke's( they seem cheaper in price), and Research mannikins for your habitat needs.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 PM

Looks like a great mount especially for the $$ Good taxidermy isnt cheap, ive found that out the hard way and you certainly get what you pay for. Only a few things stand out too me, first of all the earbutts are a bit low and ear shape is off. Second the eyes look a bit off, they look like they are closed up too much or wrong size eyeball

Wingchaser labs....Nice mount but wheres the deers lower lip?? Also may be just the pic but deer do not have jet black noses and they are not smooth textured.

Those MCK9800's make for great mounts
Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Primetime/IL

Looks like a great mount especially for the $$ Good taxidermy isnt cheap, ive found that out the hard way and you certainly get what you pay for. Only a few things stand out too me, first of all the earbutts are a bit low and ear shape is off. Second the eyes look a bit off, they look like they are closed up too much or wrong size eyeball

Wingchaser labs....Nice mount but wheres the deers lower lip?? Also may be just the pic but deer do not have jet black noses and they are not smooth textured.

Those MCK9800's make for great mounts
Yeah the lower lip almost ripped off on that one (shaved it a lil to thin). Had to really tuck it. On commercialmountscustomers almost never even know deer have a lower lipeither.I usually do a lower lip but barely a lower lip because I've seen alot of ref pics where deer dont even have it showing and I don't like the looks of big lower lips alot of people do.I know the noses arent black the paint is a dark brown but they look black in the pics for some reason and aredarker than they should be. Also that was my 7th mount and I am texturing now and layering some colors to get it more dark brown colored on the nose......... Just got a 181" net typicalshot in 1986 from a guy I know.I'm remounting on the 9800. Can't wait to mount that one in a couple weeks.WCL
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Despite te errors in the mount (I could point them out to you, but the trueth is most customers won't notice. If I were to point them out, you would go from 'loving the mount' to 'hating it'. So I won't), $355 is a good price for that mount. It is shame your taxidermist don't like making money.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

thanks Zubba. You really should see some of the "good" work around here. Let's just say that mine is a awesome compared to alot I see hanging in houses. I know of two Taxi's that would do an amazing job. But both are super high (which I fully understand), and the other is extremely slow as he likes to hunt from day 1 to the last.