Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 inside spread shrinkage >

inside spread shrinkage

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

inside spread shrinkage

Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default inside spread shrinkage

jus shot my first nice buck with the bow and want a shoulder mount done. i have been talkin to ppl and they "dont do this... it'll do this to his rack..." and my uncle said his inside spread shrunk 2" i think he's full of crap. but i was wondering does this happen alot? should i worry?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: inside spread shrinkage

I agree with you on the 2" shrinkage, B.S.! The spread will tend to shrink a little, but it won't be noticeable. You cancut a board the exact same width of the inside spread and put it between his antlers until they dryif you like, but I never bother with it.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

good to know. i dont think ill use the board. not that big of a deal, im just gunna git him scored before he gets mounted. - i think my uncle jus said that cuz he knows my buck makes his look like a yearling.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

careful with the board idea!!! ive heard that more often than not, that the skull plate ends up cracking when the spread does shrink because its weaker than the board. IMO, not worth the risk!!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Typical Buck

If it shrunk 2inches it had to be 4foot wide,whether you mount it or not they will shrink thats the reason you have to let them dry before you get an official score on a rack.1/4 to 1/2 of an inch is more realistic on the inside spread.and a board will work but like someone said it could crack the skull plate I have never saw this but I dont use a board,I have saw people do this.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will also shrink more if you cut the anlters off. Leave the antlers on the skull and it will not shrink as much. It can shrink a good bit when the skull cap dries and warps. So if you want the best score possible then leave it on the whole skull.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

It will also shrink more if you cut the anlters off. Leave the antlers on the skull and it will not shrink as much. It can shrink a good bit when the skull cap dries and warps. So if you want the best score possible then leave it on the whole skull.
Best advice so far. Leave as much of the skull on it as you can when you cape it out. I like to cut them right at the top of the eye sockets.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:33 PM

If left on the skull the inside spread shrinkage shouldnt be any more then a 1/2" If cut off completely its hard to say how much they could shrink but I couldnt image 2"!