Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

antler mount.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Default antler mount.

Ok I have done one of these on my own and it turned out pretty good but I am doing another oneand it's a bigger rack so I dont want to screw it up. My problem on the first one was wrapping the deer hide around the antler bases without it looking bad. I just wish I could figure out a way to make it look seamless.Heres a pic of the first one I did and the one I am getting ready to do. Any advice???

Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM

Default RE: antler mount.

Here is the one I am getting ready to do.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

can you tell me how you did that? i have a dozen to do and can't find a good way to do it.

no matter what you do you are gunna have a seam. what i have done in the past is wrap some rope around the base of the antlers. it hides the seam. you won't even see it.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it looks good. You may also add some braided rope around the antler bases if you want, but it is not necessary.

Here is a new one I have used also.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 PM

I did mine completely from scratch. I start by removing the antlers from the deer. Some people just hack through the skull with the hair still on the headbut I like to skin the head first and cut more of the skull than I really need (that way I have room to trim). After that I fill a big pot with water and boil the scull for about 30min to loosen the skin so it's easier to remove. There is a thin "skin" on the inside and outside of the skull and you need to remove it from the bone so it doesn't rot. AfterI have removed all the skin and hair from the skull I like to scrub the skull and antlers with a stiff bristle brushwith some regular dish soap. Let the skull dry for a few days and get a 1/4 in piece of plywood a cut it tothe shape you want (I do mine in sort of a heart shape). Next you will need to drill a couple of holesin the inside (back) of the skull in a thick area and secure the piece of plywood with screws to the skull through the holes you pre drilled. Next take some duck tape and wrap the base of the antlers to keep the expandable foam you are going to use from gettingon the antlers. Now you are going to take some "light" expandable foam (I prefer great stuff) and fill the inside of the skull (between the wood and skull) and then spray some on the top of the skull and around the antler bases. Note: You don't need to spray a whole lot because the stuff really expands alot. Let the foam dry for about a day and then take a sharp thin blade knife and trim and shape it how you want it.Next you need to find something to cover the foam with (I use deer hide) and stretch it around the antler bases and staple it to the wood in the back with some 1/4in heavy duty staples. All that is left do do now is find a piece of wood you like about and inch thick and cut a design in it that you like and router the edges. Pre drill some holes in the back and screw it to the antler mount. Congrats your done! I know this seems like alot of work but it is actually really easy to do and doesn't take alot of time. Sorry for the long post but maybe this will help and maybe the administators can make this one a sticky post if someone else hasn't already done it. Maybe later I will do a step by step w/ pics.