Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

antler mount?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:28 AM

Default antler mount?

I want to do a simple antler mount on an 8 pointer i shot last week. I have done euro mounts, but want to do something quicker and easierfor this one. I have seen some antler mounts where the skull is cut behind the antlers and the cut comes out in front of the eyes. I thought that might be kinda neat. Anyone have a pic of a mount like this or where am I supposed to cut? It looks like a 1/2 or 1/3 skull mount. thank you
Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: antler mount?

You normally cut down into the skull just behind the eyes, then you cut into the back of the skull behind the antlers meeting the front cut. But to do what your speaking of, you simply make the back cut all way through to front of eyes. If you feel between the ears, you find the base, where it drops. Thats where you start.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: antler mount?

start halfway down nose through eyes and out back of skull,then trim down to fit how you are going to do horn mount