Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

hole in cape

Old 11-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default hole in cape

How big of a hole in a cape can be fixed? I was caping out my first big buck doing my first caping job ever and since his neck was so swollen it made the job hard i have three holes in the frong of the neck 2 are the size of a dime and one the size of a quarter.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Spike

Default RE: hole in cape

any hole can be sewn, but not all holes can be totally hidden. and the front of the neck is the worst place to try and hide one. IMO.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Spike

I fixed a hole in a cape from a broadhead. The hole was in the white throat patch. It was a pain but it just looked like a scar when I was done. I also just took a deer in with a 12 ga slug that was put in the neck at about 6" from the ear. I will have to cut the hole about 3 times the size of the slug hole to repair it but it is repairable. I am more worried about the shoulder/brisket area blown to bits from the initial shot. I am keeping my fingers crossed the form doesn't have the full of a shoulder and misses this spot. But back to your initial questions those holes should be an easy fix. Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

holes also seem to grow through the tanning process.

they aughta beable to be sewn and hidden decently...depends on the taxi, and if you cut/torn out hair as well...

i know i had a coon pelt tanned last winter...22 hole right in the head..hardly noticeable when it was skinned...i rough fleshed it myself...then sent it to a tannery to be finished and tanned...got it back and its visible..could be sewn, but hair pulled for 1/8th of an inch around the hole..probably from it stretching and/or bullet damage...

for future reference, when your skinning, you wanna use your knife as littttttttle as possible. neck of a deer you shouldnt had a knife in your hands at all...just pull the hide from the meat...fleshing is better than holes in the hide....ive learned that lesson...i had a bad habit of using a knife when all i needed to do was pull...i was making it harder than it needed to be and wasting alot of time and cutting alot of hide...
Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

The holes are from skinning, so it is basically hide cuts thatdid not go through and cut the hair, which can be sewn and not show at all.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

well thanks for the info guys hopefully i just get a bigger buck and dont have to worrie about this one but i doubt that will happen.