Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Cleaning skull and antlers >

Cleaning skull and antlers

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Cleaning skull and antlers

Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 AM

Default Cleaning skull and antlers

Yesterday I was out walking some new property of a friends. I came across a deer skull with the antlers still on it. It may be a year or so old some teeth are missing and it is dirty from mud stains etc. My question here is how can I clean this to some what look good. It will make a great piece in my man room. Any help is appreciated

Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Cleaning skull and antlers

If it's already been picked over by the bugs, then the first step is degreasing. Big bucket outside with the hottest tap water you've got and a ton of Dawn detergent. Squirt the Dawn all over the skull, in the crevices, in the brain cavity, etc. and add a bunch to the water. Soak the entire thing (make sure the water covers the antlers, or you'll have a line across them where the water was) for 24 hours or so. Dump the water, hose off and repeat the Dawn soaking. Keep doing this until you think it's really clean. Feel free to use a toothbrush here and there, but nothing stronger than that. Set it in the sun to dry. If you see any dark patches on the skull, you're not done degreasing, so try some more.

Bleaching: go to Sally Beauty Supply and get some 40 Volume peroxide and activator powder. Mix together to form a paste, and brush on everything you want bleached. Allow it to dry completely overnight. Next morning, hose it off and set it in the sun. Repeat the process until you're happy with the outcome. Once you're happy, let it dry thoroughly, and spray it with a sealer.

Or, your taxidermist would probably be happy to do this for you for a small fee

Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

European skull mounts

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long.

Rich

http://rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did this one for a friend. I think it turned out pretty good. I used the quick white from sally beauty supply and degreased for about a week.