Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Old hunter with noob question.... >

Old hunter with noob question....

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Old hunter with noob question....

Old 08-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Old hunter with noob question....

hey all,
I got a quick pretty simple question....

Ive been hunting for 13 years and have pretty much only hunted deer but never in any of those years have i mounted anything , not even my first deer.... i couldnt swing the $$ at the time but this year im expanding my hunting and i will be doing some bear , bird and more deer hunting and I want to know exactly what i am to do after i gut it ....

If i hit a bear or deer or bird what should i do immediatly after the shot .... .

To be honest, i know how to gut a deer , but a bear or bird ive never even shot before ,.....

Any Advice ????
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Old hunter with noob question....

do what I did, go to your taxidermist and ask him/her how they would like to recieve the hide to be mounted. This will make their job easier and could cost you less money,extra sewing of the hide.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Spike

Well to be honest, I havent decided which taxidermist to go with yet. They are all kinda expensive. I want to go with whomever will do the best work but $$ is defenitly an issue.........so I am limited.... Some of these guys i think will over charge just cause can......
Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: A6A6

.... Some of these guys i think will over charge just cause can......
If you knew the time and work involved in producing a quality mount, beginning with the continued education, right down to the time and patience it takes to properly finish a piece, not to mention the skill involved in replicating a living thing, you would most likely feel differently about good taxidermists overcharging "...just cause (they) can". In fact, you would probably feel the same way I do, that we as taxidermists are underpaid. As for an answer to your question reguarding field care, refer to this link at my site. http://www.timberlandtaxidermy.net/feildcare.htm
Old 08-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TimberlandTaxidermy

ORIGINAL: A6A6

.... Some of these guys i think will over charge just cause can......
If you knew the time and work involved in producing a quality mount, beginning with the continued education, right down to the time and patience it takes to properly finish a piece, not to mention the skill involved in replicating a living thing, you would most likely feel differently about good taxidermists overcharging "...just cause (they) can". In fact, you would probably feel the same way I do, that we as taxidermists are underpaid. As for an answer to your question reguarding field care, refer to this link at my site. http://www.timberlandtaxidermy.net/feildcare.htm
AMEN!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Spike

Timberlandtaxidermy...

in no way do i wish to diminish your skills, and i am sure i dont have the slightest.... when it comes to the amount of schooling and studying that you guys have put in ..... im sure you are worth every dollar you charge you sound like a civil and educated gentleman.

but in my past experiences , the handfull of Taxiderist ive met and had friends deal with dont say much for the rest of you guys.. with anything else in life , "A few bad apples spoil the bunch "

just listening to a few of these guys wheel and deal really turned me off....... almiost like a Gypsy Salesman..

frickin guys were *******z.....

Old 08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

If you go to my web page I have all the info on how to prepare game after the shot.