Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Finished first turkey mount >

Finished first turkey mount

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Finished first turkey mount

Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Finished first turkey mount

Well, my good friend trusted me enough to let me mount his first Osceola, which happened to be a stud. After watching 3 different videos and reading from the breakthrough magazine, my quest to get into turkeys started! I have about 22 hours in this bird thus far and I am happy with what I have so far! But, it is my first and I learned some things I will incorporate in my next bird, but would like to see what you veterans think? I do have him facing down to help with the crown, which is already responding nicely. As for the fan, this was a 5 yr old bird and that's what he had and that's what my buddy wanted on him, says "it adds character!" Any ways, remember this is my 1st bird, so be nice! LOL!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finished first turkey mount

front

Old 05-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

other side

Old 05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

back

Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well you really want to know what I think of it??? I couldn't have done better myself!!! hey nice job especially for a first! bird. I know that they are pretty hard to mount but thats pretty good the tails is the only thing that could have been better but hey I mean its your first so no biggy!
Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The tail needs new feathers,LOL
Old 05-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah the fan hurts it, but thats as good as you could get it without replacing feathers or fan. That is what he wanted. Said that that's the way he was when he shot it, so to each his own. Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks good.
If that is how he wants, no questions asked. The bird itself looks nice.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM

The fan can be groomed a lot. The splits can be pulled together byusing your fingers to lightly pull each individual feather back together.

Not bad for a first bird, but there are several things out of position. The head position is preventing the feather tracts along the back from standing up. If you did not use silicone or latex caulking this can still be a chore. Grooming can be improved. I believe you have it set too far back or the bodies position is out of whack. Normally, after the body has been positioned correctly and the head set in the correct location, you can leave it somewhat forward then tuck it back into the feathers more after a couple days of drying. If your using silicone it won't take near that long. If you've been reading Cally Morris's Breakthrough articles, he shows a lot of detail on his methods using the large tweezers for grooming the feathers back into rows. It makes a huge difference.

As far as body position over the feet goes, I believe your too far forward. Look at it this way, the bird must have the center of mass centered over their support or they will fall. I know toms on the roost will tip back and forth a lot, but a balanced mount is a more pleasing mount (in my opinion).

Keep after it and you'll improve. Attend a show or two and you'll be amazed what you can learn.