HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Finished first turkey mount
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Hobbes

Default RE: Finished first turkey mount

The fan can be groomed a lot. The splits can be pulled together byusing your fingers to lightly pull each individual feather back together.

Not bad for a first bird, but there are several things out of position. The head position is preventing the feather tracts along the back from standing up. If you did not use silicone or latex caulking this can still be a chore. Grooming can be improved. I believe you have it set too far back or the bodies position is out of whack. Normally, after the body has been positioned correctly and the head set in the correct location, you can leave it somewhat forward then tuck it back into the feathers more after a couple days of drying. If your using silicone it won't take near that long. If you've been reading Cally Morris's Breakthrough articles, he shows a lot of detail on his methods using the large tweezers for grooming the feathers back into rows. It makes a huge difference.

As far as body position over the feet goes, I believe your too far forward. Look at it this way, the bird must have the center of mass centered over their support or they will fall. I know toms on the roost will tip back and forth a lot, but a balanced mount is a more pleasing mount (in my opinion).

Keep after it and you'll improve. Attend a show or two and you'll be amazed what you can learn.