Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

My first Mount

Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default My first Mount

This is a mount I recently had done, its my first, killed in november, got it back in Febuary, so a fast turn around..Its a cheaper one, only payed 240$ for it, whats good, or bad about it? is it crappy compared to your standards or is it decent, good? I know one thing about it, the mouth isnt sperate like most mounts, its just a line of apoxy or sumthing another between the lips... regarless, it still seems like a good looking mount to me, just want some opinions from people who would actually know what they are talking about
Old 04-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My first Mount

Your skin placement looks good. Your ear butt is lacking definition. And to give a better opinion, would need to have a brighter picture and a close up of the head. Make sure to use reference photos when mounting, it will take some time and practice but it looks like your on your way.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

on my way? i didnt mount him...i got him done by another guy
Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I knew that. I started typing and lost my train of thought. I guess all I can say with what I see is that you got what you paid for. As long as you are happy with it that is all anyone can ask for. Most of the time, there is a few exceptions. But the more it costs a person, the better the work is that you will get back.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not too bad I guess. At least you can tell its a deer, my friend paid 400 for his mount and it looks like someone tied it to the back of a truck and drug it down a gravel road.

The only thing that really sticks out to me is the ears arent in a correct position, and the mouth like you said is just a line of epoxy. Its still good for the money though
Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

the ears dont look like most mounts, but i kinda like em better, anyways, what about this mount its my friends, how does it stack up to everyones standards also...by the way he payed 300$ for this mount.. only thing is the turn around time was nothing like the guy told him, he said 6 - 8 months and it took over a year, also he still never got his name plate or whatever its called..

Old 04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that one has better ear definition and the mouth isnt just an epoxy line. Looks like a good mount for the money.

Turn around time is gonna be about the same. Its alot of work for taxidermists who take in 100's of deer to get them out in a certain time. Its tough work, and very stressful. 6-8 months is the average and a year isnt usually out of the question either.

Mount still looks good
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

But he didnt tan the hide? the color looks much different, i know the hides can differ on deer anyways but whats better tanning then, or whatever other method?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

hhhmmmm...honestly? Like mentioned before, you got what you paid for. I don't see much right with that mount. Your friends mount is better though. A quality mount should be tanned. If tanned, it will last much much longer than one not tanned. Don't be surprised if the mount starts to crack and yellow overtime. But I guess if you happy, then we are happy.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

MINE is tanned.. HIS is not...

Quick Reply: My first Mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.