Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Is my trout still mountable?? How much?? >

Is my trout still mountable?? How much??

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Is my trout still mountable?? How much??

Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is my trout still mountable?? How much??

I caught a brown trout about 2.5yr. ago and put it in a grocery bag and into my freezer. Is it still good? It kinda starting to get this pale flakywhite look on the bottom(frostbite?). but it still looks good overall. I wanna get it mounted, i think its 19 or 20 inches and i have a pic of how i want it mounted. Is it stil mountable how much longer will it be good and how much would this mount run? Thanks

Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my trout still mountable?? How much??

hope you have some good pictures!!! trout loose color REAL quick...and i dont care how many refrence pics you have...there are atleast 2 different strains of brown trout in PA alone. let alone all the other factors that come into play...gettings an accurate, realistic fish done usually requires good pics..or it'll be nothing more than a guess by teh taxidermist...but, then again if you dont have pics, you'll never notice the difference lol.

but even if the skin cant be salvaged, the taxidermist can make a reproduction of it. either order one and make it fit, or completely make one and paint it. all they will need is the measurements...but id definently take them the frozen fish and tell them what you want done

a normal skin mount runs about 10$ per inch...reproductions are usually a bit higher...every taxidermist is different in pricing...ive seen anything from 8-20+ an inch. do yourself a favor...goto the taxidermists in the area and look at their CUSTOMER fish mounts. some guys simply cannot paint and cannot do fish. out of everything i see on the internet, ive noticed that some guys simply cant do fish or paint..fish come out lookin terrible. a little shopping around will prevent you getting a fish that looks like it should be in a cartoon..im a believer in "if its worth getting mounted in the first place, its worth the price" if they only guy that can paint a fish in the area wants 20$ an inch and i have a fish i want mounted, its either going there or its not getting done. no sense in getting a cartoon fish done for a cheap price
Old 12-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well ive only got one pic on my cell, and its not that good at all. so there goes that, i was at a wal-mart and therewas aadvertising the mounts that were on display and he had a couple of fish that looked awesome and he's local so ill probly check him out.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

Fish canmost likelybe saved. I've re-hydrated some that had been frozen for 10 years. Talk about freezer burn!!! Some guys may charge extra for the added work of trying to save the skin. Next time lay the fins flat against the body, wrap the fish in a soaking wet towel, double bag in plastic and seal out the air as best as possible, and freeze. Fish will last years with no freezer damage if frozen this way.