Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Question on turkey wings..... >

Question on turkey wings.....

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Question on turkey wings.....

Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on turkey wings.....

I'm getting ready to mount my second turkey and had a question. I've got him thawing out right now, and my question pertains to the flesh in the wing areas. Can you inject preserve it there, and be sufficient, or would it be better to flesh it out?On My first bird, I fleshed it out, and it was a real pain, and I was just wondering if there was another way. I'm planning on a simpler pose this time, standing, looking to the side alittle, with the tailslightly fanned. I'm using the original head that I had freezed dried up at Hazel Creek. The guys up there showed me some pointers, and I got my tumbler done yesterday, so look forward todoing amuch better jobon this one. Not that my other one turned out bad, but from the one's I seendone up at Hazel Creek, I can really tell the differance what a tumbler can do. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated by this novice. thanks. Here's a pic of my first mount.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question on turkey wings.....

I know a guy who tried the "preservz it" last year and with in a month had an infestation of ants, flys and the nasty smell in his house (even after removing it)! It could work, but the main problem is that you'd be doing it blind and there is a lot of meet hidden in between bones. You did it last year and saw what a pain it is, thus the reason for paying $400 plus to a taxidermist. Your best removing it or coming up with the dough for someone elde to do it!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

i would definitely remove all the meat completely from the wing.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

I know a guy who tried the "preservz it" last year and with in a month had an infestation of ants, flys and the nasty smell in his house (even after removing it)! It could work, but the main problem is that you'd be doing it blind and there is a lot of meet hidden in between bones. You did it last year and saw what a pain it is, thus the reason for paying $400 plus to a taxidermist. Your best removing it or coming up with the dough for someone elde to do it!

Thanks for the input, It's not about the money, It's something I want to learn. I was just wondering if there were other proceedures, and ways others do it. So after your input, I'll deflesh like I did last year. It's only about an hour on each wing. I don't want that happening. thanks, again.