Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Squirrel mount ?s >

Squirrel mount ?s

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Squirrel mount ?s

Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Squirrel mount ?s

I am thinking about buying a squirrel mount kit from BPS, Cabelas, just wondering if you guys think this is a descent kit. It seems to include everything that I would need (I suppose). I have never even attempted a mount of any sort so I figured this would be a good place to start,and I am not interested in becoming a pro but for a squirrel mount my tax. want's $240 soI figured for $20 I could at least try it out.. You guys have any input, ideas, or tips for squirrel...Thanks
Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 PM

Default RE: Squirrel mount ?s

Order one from Van-Dykes Taxidermy company, they have everyting you will need to do the mount.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Let me know how it works out for you. Im very interested in doing this to. Post pics if you can. Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

I wanting to try a deer. But thought maybe a squirrel would be a good start.I guess the main thing is getting the measurments of your squirrel, to get the right size form. If I order the kit I will probably see if the have a video to follow the steps! $240.00 for a squirrel...wow. Unlike Bucks...there are plenty of squirrels
Goodluck!
Crutch
Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 PM

never used a taxidermy kit for squirrels but i did mount one using homemade materials. I'd take a picture but my cat seems to have destroyed it.

It was very primitive and didnt lookthat greatbut heres what i did. Skinned the squirrel from mid-back to nose. Turn it inside out, scrap of the meat and soak in water with a little soap for about an hour or so to clean the pelt.Took small 6x5" piece of wood and drilled one whole square in the center. Then I took some hard copper wire and looped it around so that it was in the shape of a "Y". Put that through the whole in the board and hot-glue into place. Take the pelt, dry it stuff it full of cotton balls, insert fake eyesand place onto the wire. Ta da!

lol, like I said very very primitive but it worked temporarily.
"Disclaimer:Not responsible for crappy mounts"
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

The McKenzie kits are the way to start out. The main thing to learn Taxidermy is practice and more practice. Good Luck to everyone.
Rich