Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 squirrel mount..got it! >

squirrel mount..got it!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

squirrel mount..got it!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default squirrel mount..got it!

well today i slipped away from college packing and everything and picked up the squirrel mount. i dropped it off in febuary of 2003..im sure you all remember my posts about it.....finally done!

all in all i cant complain. he freeze dried it. the mount doesnt look horrible....i dont like the head..it looks a little akward..and i can see his stitching where i guess he gutted it? but its not visible from the wall, and can be covered up better. here is a few pics i took real quick....

any ideas on why he is brown not white like a typical grey squirrel?? im thinking maybe it was hybrid of a fox and grey squirrel. theres a strong population of both where i killed it. or just a color variation?? ive never seen another like it and killed a ton of them. dad killed 1000s of them and said get it mounted he never seen one like that....

the pics look kinda funny he is about a foot or 2 higher then i am.....but you get the idea....i guess the head just looks a little wierd is because of the position of him about to eat his acorn. all in all cant complain for 135$...the 2.5yr wait was a bit rediculous though..
Old 08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: squirrel mount..got it!

Not too bad, but I do agree the head looks odd and the 2 year wait was rediculos.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 PM

That is a biracial squirrel, Not much he could do on the stitching seems he didn't have a lot of hair on the belly.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is true alex. the belly hair is short and thick. after looking at it i noticed that there are some long almost like tail hairs under its arms and such. maybe its armpit hair! i tried to pull it off thinking they were loose tail hairs but they arent. very neat squirrel..glad i got it mounted.

so you think it was a cross between a grey and a fox squirrel?? you ever seen any others like that?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM

Greys and fox squirrels are not closely enough related, from a taxonomy standpoint, to interbreed. Its simply a color phase of the grey squirrel. We see that colorhere in NY from time to time.

Also, a frreze dryer knows when to remove the viscera through one of the "openings" thats already there, rather then cutting it. I used to take long needle nosed pliers and go through the "backdoor", no incision.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Did you pay him for the mount or was it a freebee?