Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

tanning a hide

Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the biggest thing everyone seems to have missed here is the actual fleshing. Its important to remove all flesh, tissue, fat from the hide. A fleshing blade is recommended at the least. I suppose you can always hand knife one, but your in for alotta work, and sharpening of your knife!

This post started in 2007?!!!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BuckAlley

This post started in 2007?!!!!!
yeah, i brought it back to life, lol
Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

i may have done some things wrong, but my hide seems to have turned out okay. i just let the hide sit for a day until it was dry to the touch, and commenced to removing any meat that was still attached. i then made a wooden rack and stretched the hide across it and put spikes in the corners to hold it taught. i put a layer of salt over the whole thing and set the rack at about a 45 degree angle. the next day i scraped off the salt and salted it again and inverted the rack. i did this a few more days, then took a damp towel and wiped away any remaining salt. i then applied a light coat of oil, and massaged it in, then sprayed a degreaser on it, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and rinsed it. after it dried thoroughly, i sanded it to reach the texture i wanted, and reapplied oil, and began rolling and stretching it.

like i said, it worked out okay for me. all the hair stayed in place, and it feels pretty nice. i probably made some major error, but i'm a newb to the whole tanning thing myself.