HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tanning a hide
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM
rustynobles
Fork Horn

i may have done some things wrong, but my hide seems to have turned out okay. i just let the hide sit for a day until it was dry to the touch, and commenced to removing any meat that was still attached. i then made a wooden rack and stretched the hide across it and put spikes in the corners to hold it taught. i put a layer of salt over the whole thing and set the rack at about a 45 degree angle. the next day i scraped off the salt and salted it again and inverted the rack. i did this a few more days, then took a damp towel and wiped away any remaining salt. i then applied a light coat of oil, and massaged it in, then sprayed a degreaser on it, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and rinsed it. after it dried thoroughly, i sanded it to reach the texture i wanted, and reapplied oil, and began rolling and stretching it.

like i said, it worked out okay for me. all the hair stayed in place, and it feels pretty nice. i probably made some major error, but i'm a newb to the whole tanning thing myself.