Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Dosent look right???? >

Dosent look right????

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Dosent look right????

Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dosent look right????

englum - I never said that $250 mounts are junk, I did say that I would never touch one for that. I will also say that for a $250 mount, you got your monies worth. Like Bill Yox said for every taxi there are customers, as long as you like your great. There are differences in price because of differences in quality and details. You might not be able to the difference but I can assure you that everyclient of mine does notice. I don't take in a lot of work like some because I want to spend as much time as I can with my children while they still think that I know everything. The majority of my clients are refered or past clients. The bow shop that I use has 2 of my mounts hanging there along with 20 or so of others, when someone asks about a taxidermist, they tell them to look at my 2 and then the others. If they can tell the difference and want to pay for that difference, they give them my card. I have 5 bears to pick up from them right now. I'd rather mount bears then deer anyhow.......

Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

englum - I never said that $250 mounts are junk, I did say that I would never touch one for that. I will also say that for a $250 mount, you got your monies worth. Like Bill Yox said for every taxi there are customers, as long as you like your great. There are differences in price because of differences in quality and details. You might not be able to the difference but I can assure you that everyclient of mine does notice. I don't take in a lot of work like some because I want to spend as much time as I can with my children while they still think that I know everything. The majority of my clients are refered or past clients. The bow shop that I use has 2 of my mounts hanging there along with 20 or so of others, when someone asks about a taxidermist, they tell them to look at my 2 and then the others. If they can tell the difference and want to pay for that difference, they give them my card. I have 5 bears to pick up from them right now. I'd rather mount bears then deer anyhow.......

See the thing is, I highly doubt that you could pick this mount apart. Ive seen many many deer mounted and this is better than any others I have seen. Ive seen this one side to side with mounts that won state and national prizes, and this guys work takes it. Its easily $500 work. Im just stating my point that it could be just as good or better than your work. I dont know this for a fact, but you don't know that it's not better as a fact either. The price may lead you to think that the eyes are clayed up, the ears are pink, you could see sew lines, etc, etc, but you can't. This is an endless argument and the only way to settle it would be to set them down side by side and pick them apart. And obviously we can't do that.

Thats a very nice bear mount by the way. Thats something I would love to do sometime-- shoot a bear, but unfortunately around here we dont have any bears!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM

Well there ya have it, my point illustrated perfectly! Englom can honestly say he thinks his friends mount is equal to or exceeding the higher priced stuff as well as the award winners. What can you say to that? Of course, we who do this know where those differences are, as do discriminating customers. But, and Im not trying to sound like a snob, theres so many that see thru the same eyes as he does, why argue? Thats the good thing about this industry. There surely IS a $600 deer head, as well as a $200 one, which that one is. But, theres the same clientele too, so its all good. All you guys in here who are taxidermists should really pay attention to Englom, hes illustrating points here even though that wasnt his intent. But its very humbling. If you wanna do work of that type, at that price, now you see theres plenty that will support you. If you dont and choose a different path, respect those that are, and humbly move in that direction and count your blessings!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Well said Mr. Yox.As taxidermists it's sometimes hard to understandother's thinking when it comes to distinguishing a quality mount from a 200.00 one. It is so obvious to us we can see it from 100 yards away, but to some, they truly don't see a difference. They are the lucky ones, they get off cheap every fall.As for "ripping people off", I take offence. I charge 450.00 for a deer head. I have my costs figured to the penny, and time figured to the minute. Not that it's any one's business, but I make 15.00 per hour when mounting deer, or any other animal for that matter. Yes it's a better wage than McDonalds, but I hardly feel I'm ripping anyone off, especially when you are free to go anywhere you want. Heck, the guy that delivers my supplies makes nearly twice that, and I'm not pissed at him. As Mr. Yox stated, there is a taxidermist for every customer. As long as you are happy, nothing else matters.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

My Uncle got his buck back a couple months ago. He paid something like 380 for his. He came in town and looked at mine and was pi$$ed!! When we told him how much my Taxi was charging he didn't think it would be any good, so when we got mine back and checked it out he couldn't believe it. My girlfriend's dad is the same way. He's been using the same taxidermist for about 15 years-- the guy does decent work but charges like 300. He's now said that he's gonna give my taxidermist a try next time he needs a mount. Makes me feel good knowing that Im giving this guy business from other people. They both couldn't believe the quality of work this guy did for a $220 mount.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Uncle got his buck back a couple months ago. He paid something like 380 for his. He came in town and looked at mine and was pi$$ed!! When we told him how much my Taxi was charging he didn't think it would be any good, so when we got mine back and checked it out he couldn't believe it. My girlfriend's dad is the same way. He's been using the same taxidermist for about 15 years-- the guy does decent work but charges like 300. He's now said that he's gonna give my taxidermist a try next time he needs a mount. Makes me feel good knowing that Im giving this guy business from other people. They both couldn't believe the quality of work this guy did for a $220 mount.

Hey Englum 06, the more you talk, the more clearly we see this.......

Well there ya have it, my point illustrated perfectly! Englom can honestly say he thinks his friends mount is equal to or exceeding the higher priced stuff as well as the award winners. What can you say to that? Of course, we who do this know where those differences are, as do discriminating customers. But, and Im not trying to sound like a snob, theres so many that see thru the same eyes as he does, why argue? Thats the good thing about this industry. There surely IS a $600 deer head, as well as a $200 one, which that one is. But, theres the same clientele too, so its all good. All you guys in here who are taxidermists should really pay attention to Englom, hes illustrating points here even though that wasnt his intent. But its very humbling. If you wanna do work of that type, at that price, now you see theres plenty that will support you. If you dont and choose a different path, respect those that are, and humbly move in that direction and count your blessings!
Enough said.....nothing to argue about.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

hey bud I never said I was talkin to you...if you want it to die, let it die
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 AM

Englum06, he wasnt literally telling you to stop talking, what he is saying is, its becoming very obvious that yours and our points have both been illustrated very well at this point, that theres nothing much left to debate here. Most of us here who are taxidermists ourselves do not wish to comment on other taxidermists work, nor are we interested in posting other pics to show differences. The bottom line in any taxidermy shop is simple...that the customer walks out happy with what he had done. Just as you couldnt talk these guys into what you believe if they dont, my customers, for example, couldnt get you to my studio either. The system works just fine, we hope everyone is happy and has a head on the wall.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Bill does that knowledge come before or after hair loss?There is plenty of work for all skill level and prices, I just prefer to be higher on one.