Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Turkey Feet

Old 04-24-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Turkey Feet

Hello all. I am looking for ways to preserve a couple of turkey feet and craft ideas, or stuff I can do with them, any help or advice would be great.

Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Feet

Joe - they need to be preserved or they will rot and/or attract dermestid beetles. Beetles will eat any and all mounts. Take it to a taxidermist and have him preserve it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

My freind had a turkey foot done . He got it with the turkey foot giving the middle finger on a plack and it below it .... the one that got away!just an idea
Old 05-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to keep it, cut the foot of the bone. Then take a coat hanger and unwind it so you have the hookstreight. Cut off the smooth part and leave the screw looking piece. Stick the screw piece in the bone marro and clean out as good as you can. Pack the hollow bone with borax "Boratine"take the bottom of the foot and cut a slit in the meatie parts of the foot and take out any meat. Pack with borax. Shape the foot as you want use string to hold in place and let it dry for a month or so in a dry place. If you want, as it is drying sprinkle black pepper on it to keep the bugs away.Most of the time I don't even cut the foot bottoms.
Grant