Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Easy Mount for Beginner? >

Easy Mount for Beginner?

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Easy Mount for Beginner?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Easy Mount for Beginner?

Hey everyone,
I really want to get into taxidermy but am not sure where to start. I have mounted antlers of deer I have shot and stuff, but want to try my first real animal mount. The farm I hunt has quail, pheasant, rabbit, deer, etc. What do you think would be an easy mount for me to start on? Quail are the most abundant, but I wasn't sure if they were tricky to mount due to their size. Please let me know what you think.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Default RE: Easy Mount for Beginner?

There is no " Easy" animal to mount. If you really want to get into taxidermy then you need to do your research... Some guys have a nat for doing spectacular whitetail but cant mount an elk worth a crap...i think that you should really look into the work that is needed and which you might be able to handle... birds and mammals are two different type jobs in taxidermy... just do some research and find out what YOU not us really want to try and mount....

PM for more questions
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Easy Mount for Beginner?

I was thinking of trying a squirrel mount. You can order a kit from cabela's or bass pro(I think) and it has everything included to do it. May need to check on the body form. I think it's only about 20-30 bucks. It's worth a try!
crutch