Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Bugs on my geese >

Bugs on my geese

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bugs on my geese

Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bugs on my geese

Yesterday I found a small tan/brown, smooth beetle crawling (appx. the size of a half a grain of rice) on a Canada goose mount. I've never seen any "crumbs" or flakes from the feathers on the shelf. Is there a productout there I can sprinkle into the feathersto help make it less appetizing?

The mount is 2.5 yrs old. Is it too late to do anything?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bugs on my geese

Get a large plastic bag and put the goose in, then use Raid flying insect spray and spray it quite heavy in the bag and seal the bag for at least 3-4 days. when you open the bag all of the bugs should be dead. If you have any other mounts in your home treat them the same way or trouble will continue with more bugs.
Good Luck
Rich
Old 03-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Even after the raid treatment you may have trouble with larvae hatching from eggs that already exist. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:54 PM

I call them hide beattles but the real name is dermestic beatles . you can set off raid in you room and just continually clean the room.... The beatles prob, came from the mount right out of your taixidermist shop... call them up and see if they will take care of it for you.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

They're dermestids, and there are numerous kinds of them. It is unlikely they came from the taxidermists, especially after 2.5 years. They can get into anyones house, and any type of protein will attract them. Not only do you need to treat the mounts, but you also have to find the source that attracted them in the first place.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mr Magis gave you the right info. They have been attracted by something, you need to find the source. Another issue, they will attack your other mounts. You will not kill the eggs and larvae with Raid. At this point there is only one company that guarantees their service for treatment of Dermestids. That co is Miller's Trophy Room. Hope it helps