....yes , no beard, talk about mad, sad, devastation, lol.......what is that spray you can get to get rid of them ?i found wood dust all over.....but i need to get it soon so they wont get into my other..." />

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

BUGS HELP

Old 01-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default BUGS HELP

y'all i have bugs , i looked at my one mount and it had no beard....yes , no beard, talk about mad, sad, devastation, lol.......what is that spray you can get to get rid of them ?i found wood dust all over.....but i need to get it soon so they wont get into my other ones.....thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BUGS HELP

OUCH that hurts i do not know of any spray wooddust sounds like termites what kind of bugs would eat a turkey beard? maybe the next gobbler you shoot you can have a taxidermist splice it on for you I do not know if they can do that GOOD LUCK
Old 01-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ma , it would be best to phone a Taxidermy and ask them what they use on there mounts. Sounds like its carpet beetles , little Black beeltle with a light brown/Tan strip across the back. They are a pain to rid of...BT
Old 01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd put them in a huge bag and get some flee bombs and let one go

Were do you keeps your mounts??? I see mine every day and I think I would notice something working on the beards before they were gone[:-]
Old 01-08-2006, 08:14 AM

Huntnma
I have an old article from the Turkey Call magazine dated May/June 1995.I will try and rewrite it all here because I don't know how I can scan it and e-mail it to you.When I find out how I will.In the mean time here it is:
DEBUG
Your beard been fall'n apart?Wing feathers stripped to the quills?Sawdust like powder dropp'n from your prized fan? Freind,you've got bugs,and they'll spell doom to your trophies.

Those pesky little critters are better known as moths and/or carpet beetles.Fortunately,you can remedy this problem.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound or cure on all mounts.A fresh skin should be scraped clean of all flesh and fatty tissue.Skin and feathers should be dusted with household Borax,which act as a preserative and a moth proofant.

All beards and feathers not on display should be kept with a few moth balls in a closed container.Displayed fans,wings or beards should be lightly sprayed with Diazanon,mounted birds can be placed in a plastic garbage bag and fumigated with an aerosol spray of Pyrethrins.Both chemicals can be purchased from your local garden store,and follow their label instructions.If futher problems arise,consult your local pest control professional.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good reply ubetcha!!Ma I've had good luck about twice a year spraying just the base of my fans(skinside)with a good shot ofraid!!I do know that after talking to my taxidermist that from now on all my feathered full body bird mounts will be behind glass!He told me thats the absolute best way to keep these pesky eaters off of your feathered trophys!!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks y'all for the replys, this mount itself is kept on top of my entertainment stand almost touching the ceiling so i dont get to see it too often seeing when i am home most of my time is spent in here on the p.c. lol....