Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 how to mount deer by yourself??? >

how to mount deer by yourself???

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

how to mount deer by yourself???

Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Default how to mount deer by yourself???

send me pictures and ideas on some of the easyer ways i could mount deer by my self

i dont mind if u post some of your work
Old 01-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to mount deer by yourself???

If you arelooking for easier ways, taxidermy is not for you. It's a lot of work and dedication to get quality.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

If you arelooking for easier ways, taxidermy is not for you. It's a lot of work and dedication to get quality.
if you dont want to send any idea dont bother sending any thing
Old 01-20-2007, 03:57 PM

just so everyone knows i am not talking about shoulder mounts
i am talk about euro mounts and things like that
Old 01-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Vandykestaxidermy.com They have kits for different mounts. They are owned by Cabelas now. As do a lot of other taxidermy Co's. Do a Google search.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because you weren't specific enough with your question. Tanning and mounting a deer is not easy. Now as far as euro mounts, there are easy ways to do that. You have about 3 options, beetle clean, maceration, boiling or burial. Let's look at these options.. Beetles are the best but not easy to keep up with. They require constan temp, high humidity, lots of care. Boiling.... Probably the easiest but stinks and can damage your skull. If you overboil, you will ruin it. Burial... works great when it's summer but you have to make sure that animals can't get to it and drag it off. I prefer maceration. Take a bucket and put your skull in it, fill with water until it just covers your skull, put lid on, punch hole in and leave it for a couple of weeks. If you want to speed the process up add RidX. Drawbacks is in the winter, it'll freeze and you really don't want to be downwind of it in the summer. And thanks for your little comments and glad I can help.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Because you weren't specific enough with your question. Tanning and mounting a deer is not easy. Now as far as euro mounts, there are easy ways to do that. You have about 3 options, beetle clean, maceration, boiling or burial. Let's look at these options.. Beetles are the best but not easy to keep up with. They require constan temp, high humidity, lots of care. Boiling.... Probably the easiest but stinks and can damage your skull. If you overboil, you will ruin it. Burial... works great when it's summer but you have to make sure that animals can't get to it and drag it off. I prefer maceration. Take a bucket and put your skull in it, fill with water until it just covers your skull, put lid on, punch hole in and leave it for a couple of weeks. If you want to speed the process up add RidX. Drawbacks is in the winter, it'll freeze and you really don't want to be downwind of it in the summer. And thanks for your little comments and glad I can help.

thanks alot i might have to try some of them
Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

I did the Euro mount with the boil. Many times during the process I just wanted to do something else though. It stinks to high heavens so be ready if you choose this one.