Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 can I mount my own deer? >

can I mount my own deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can I mount my own deer?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default can I mount my own deer?

I shot this deer w/my muzzleloader 14 months ago. He has been resting in my chest freezer wrapped in a garbage bag. The bag has holes in it from the antlers. He was caped to the base of the neck. I couldnt decide if I wanted to pay the $400 to have him mounted. I have some spare time this winter and am wondering if I can do it myself. Or would I be biting off more than I can chew? Also would the cape still be good after 14 months in my freezer? How about home tanning vs. pro. tanning? One way or another it's time for him to move to a new home. If I don't mount him I will boil his skull and display him that way.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: can I mount my own deer?

He's mountable yet, hide should be ok yet as long as you had it covered. I've mounted a few deer 15 or so years ago and they still look pretty damn good. I did my tanning the cheap way. Nice looking buck!!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

you might be able to but, how long is the mount going to last when you get it done????? After 15 years will it still look good? Nice buck by the way!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could ask your taxidermist, but I can imagine what he'll say.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a doe in the freezer from last year. I have a buddy that does his own mounts. I was originaly going to tan the hide with the hair on but after talking with him he thinks it should be ok. He uses the drytan stuff. His only consern with it being in the freezer that long is the lips and eyelids being freezer burnt. He said wrapped in a good bag it should be ok.

we're going to get it all caped out and see if its ok to mount.if not I may just try tanning it myself.

I have a buck at the Taxidermist so I'd rather do this one myself and see how well I do.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usally like to mount them when they are still warm.(did I say that out loud.) Taxidermy is an art form. I tried it and failed. Go for it it never hurts to try and if it don't work out then take it to the taxi.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

If its a buck of a life time,do you really want to do it yourself! good luck either way............
Old 02-14-2008, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

I usally like to mount them when they are still warm.(did I say that out loud.)
Old 02-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Do you know how? If so, go ahead have at it!!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OneMustFall

If its a buck of a life time,do you really want to do it yourself! good luck either way............
This is what i was thinking too, very nice deer, I think if it was me, I woiuld try to come up with the cash to to take it to my taxi, too nice of a deer to try for yur first one. IMO.

Quick Reply: can I mount my own deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.