Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 what is the right size to mount a deer >

what is the right size to mount a deer

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

what is the right size to mount a deer

Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what is the right size to mount a deer

yes that is deffinatly one to get mounted

in fact, i think it should be a full body mount

Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uh YEA!
You have to ask?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:18 PM

just to let everyone know i am from alberta and around here and buck under about 145 will most likely not get mounted no matter who the person is

120 to 145 bucks in our family anyway get euro mounted
dad has 5 mounts typicals are 152 7/8 162 7/8 and 166 1/8 non-typicals are 183 6/8 and 187 4/8
Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it really depends on the hunter. Since I mount my own deer, I try to mount anything 140 and above. But if I didn't mount my own, then I'd probably save money and do a plaque. I know several people who have harvested bucks over 170-180 without mounting (and have the money) so it really depends on the hunter... Or the wife
Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Spike

That is a great buck. Especially for your first. I would be having it mounted if it were mine.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

There is no rule for mounting a deer by how large his antlers are. If it is a trophy in your eyes, then by all means, get it mounted. If you shoot a doe and had a memorable experience on that hunt, then get her mounted. A trophy to me may not be a trophy to you and vice versa. Use your own judgement.
exactly. i got my little 8 point mounted this year and my wife wants to get her first done. no matter what it is.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

He is a nice buck MOUINT HIM. Besides I have animals mounted basicaly for the memory of the hunt, about any buck looks good habing on a wall..
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quality of the cape and quality of the hunt matters more than rack. If you have a torn up animal they will look torn up on the wall. Younger bucks with a nice symmetrical rack look the prettiest on the wall IMO.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BowHunterFett
My honest opiion is any buck you shoot SHOULD be a mounter. If you shoot it mount it, if it isn't worth $400.00, don't shoot it. That is what alot of the hunters in my area practice. On the propery I hunt, if you shoot a buck and don't get it munted, you pay the land owner $400.00, or give him your gun or bow. It seams to have helped, even though I have only shot 1 buck, I have passed on alot of small bucks, and noticed larger deer that just didn't come close enough.
As for your deer, it is a grat buck. Get it mounted, you will kick yourself later if you do not.
This sounds like a drinking wives tale urban legend boogeyman man.

I would not associate with someone who asked for my weapon,or person that gave it up. He would get the buttstock to the head.

I can see fun bet, award, has to buy bottle of booze.

Lucky in this part of country lots of land to hunt. You don't have to humileate yourself.

I pass on deer at my camp, but no rules. Nor any I have hunted.

I know some all they want is one mounter. Then whatever.
Also I don't believe everyone needs to be mounted. Money and wall space. Plus we like to eat deer. I put the skulls up, but probably not up to your standards.

I debated mounting this 8. I decided I am still chasing the big one. Plus in 30s, and not in freezer. I wasn't sure if it would be good. Skull soup.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since it is your deer and your money, if you want to get a deer head mounted do it and don't asked anyone else their opinion because they don't have to pay for it or live with it. There are many reasons people want to mount a deer head, because it is huge or because it is the nicest one they ever shot or because it is the first one they ever shot etc. Don't worry about what other people think, so long as it is legal do what is best for you.

Quick Reply: what is the right size to mount a deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.