Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

taxidermy start

Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Default taxidermy start

a friend and i would like to get started in taxidermy. nothing big, i was just wondering how to get started on small animals or birds.

1. whats a good animal to start practicing on
2. what do i need to do the make the animal workable
3. is there anything i should read about taxidermy to get started on small animals.

I just want to learn how to do small animals for now and maybe move on to larger animals later.

thanks for your help.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 AM

Default RE: taxidermy start

When I got started 40+ YRS ago the lessons were to start with birds, usually if you can do birds you can learn the rest pretty easily.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:32 PM

ok my question then is how do i keep the birds after i kill them. i hunt pheasant and quail and am not sure how to get the breasts out with out ruining the skin. can you point me in the direction of any good books to get started and the supplies that i will need.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM

Go to Taxidermy.Net and start researching.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

runningback,

I dont think you get the meat. I got a turkey recently and called about having it done. I asked about getting the meat and the taxi man said i didnt get any. I think its because the hunter will tear up the bird trying to get it out and since you have to freeze the critter first (to avoid spoilage), once the thing thaws, you cant refreeze it.

As for preserving the bird, Ive always been told to drop the bird head first into a pair of panty hose and freeze it. I guess the hose keeps the feathers from getting ruffled up.

If you decide to take this up further and need some practice critters, drop me a pmail. Im pretty close to you and would be willing togive you some things for practice in exchange for some free work (ill pay materials though).
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 PM

well thanks for the advice. i shouldnt have any trouble getting animals but if i run into any problems i might have to look you up okie

Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 AM

You can still keep the meat from your birds, but you must skin the bird prior to freezing. Then bag the skin and freeze until ready to work, and bag the meat until ready to eat.
If I had a customer wanting the meat, I either skinned the bird upon arrival (if I had time) or I refrigerated and skinned soon enough that I could bag the meat and freeze for the customer and they could pick up. There is no reason the meat can not still be utilized.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I started with the video corse from WASCO. I like the deer tanning and mounting videos from John Rinehart. You can order Rinehart supplies from Mckenzie Taxidermy supply.