Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Mounting The Rear End? >

Mounting The Rear End?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Mounting The Rear End?

Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Mounting The Rear End?

Hi there,

When I was about 14, I laid eyes on a head mount of what appeared to be some sort of ape. I was told that it was an Alabama Swamp Monkey...a bipedal ape-like creature and roams the deep swamps of the south. I was in awe, because the mount looked incredibly real. When I realized the grown-ups laughing I asked what was up and they explained to me that it was simply the rear-end section of hide stretched over a human skull form. Lay the tail back over the head(like a mohawk), throw in some teeth and eyes, and voila....an ape. Since then, I've only seen 1 more mount like it, and it wasn't quite as good in my opinion. I've heard it called Swamp Thing, Swamp Ape, and a few other names that I can't recall right now.

My question is, have any of you seen/heard of/worked on a mount like this? Would be awesome if anyone has pictures. I'd like to have one of my future Does mounted in this fashion. Any help is appritiated.

Regards,
Axel
Old 09-19-2006, 04:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mounting The Rear End?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 PM

What kind of animal was used to make that? It looks neat, but it's not whatI'm talking about. The Swamp Ape is brown, like a deer, with a white mohawk made with the underside of the tail. Thanks for the pic though.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Often called a Swamp Booger. Type in "taxidermy swamp booger" into any search engine, you should find a pic. I didn't want to copy a pic from someone's site or I would post one. Not uncommon, but not every taxidermist will do novelty mounts.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:10 PM

Mckenzie's taxidermy supply has a picture of one in their catalog.