Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Cracking

Old 07-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cracking

Question. I have several mounts, including some deer that are over 15 years old. I have one 8 point from WV that is cracking and lifting up around the nose. Anyone know what causes this or what can be done. It hasn't gotten any worse, and only I know it is there, but would like to fix if possible.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cracking

Well, without actually seeing the mount, there could be a few problems. One that comes to mind first is dry preserve. Did you get a real good deal or should I say did you pay less than other taxidermist in the area? Most DP mounts are cheaper, at least in my area. It could be a pickle tan, although I have never had it happen to me, I have seen it in other mounts that weren't properly neautralized. I am not knocking anyone else's work but try taking it ot a reputable taxidermist or even the one that did it and see if they can fix it. A lot of times it can be repaired, usually I use epoxy sculpt or modge podge to fill the crack and rebuild the nodules. Some others on here might be able to help with other info. Hope it helps
Old 07-24-2006, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cracking

Thanks...I'l post a pic maybe later today. To answer your other question, I ws mounted about 12 years ago and I paid regular price.