Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 How long would you wait? >

How long would you wait?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

How long would you wait?

Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long would you wait?

I know this topic has been discussed before but I'm not sure what to do in my situation. First let me explain that I am fully aware how long it takes to get a mount finished and I'm more than willing to wait the time. My problem is that I took a woodcock to be mounted to a local taxidermist and she has since stopped doing her work full time. She said that she only does it for close friends and relatives who understand her situation. Well, it's been three and a half years since I dropped it off and I only ever called her once and that wasn't until she had it two years. I don't know what to do but I also feel that I should have had this back a long time ago. I took it to her before she changed her mind and I'm sure other "friends" have had their mounts there and back already. I'm starting to forget what a woodcock even looks like.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How long would you wait?

Ask her for your bird back, "finished or not" and take it to sombody else that youlike the quaility of work they do.

Rich
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

rich........when you do that do you ask or expect the deposit back or its gone? just curious.........im about to do the same.....i have a squirrel at a taxidermist for 2 and a half years.....and keep getting the run around when i call.....for a long time i didnt call......now i call every couple months JUST because he tells me a couple more months...i called at the 1yrs mark because he said about a year..then a couple more months......so i always call him when he tells me it should be done......he!! once he tried to tell me he started it....then the next time i called he didnt mention starting it...siad he got real busy......i was like ya ok BS buddy first in first out! hes a money maker.....deer and big game from THIS year are done and back already......hes working on small stuff from years ago....im going to get it back soon as i talk to my new taxidermist when i get my fish back.....which been right about exzactly a year...to the day
Old 05-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

I know this topic has been discussed before but I'm not sure what to do in my situation. First let me explain that I am fully aware how long it takes to get a mount finished and I'm more than willing to wait the time. My problem is that I took a woodcock to be mounted to a local taxidermist and she has since stopped doing her work full time. She said that she only does it for close friends and relatives who understand her situation. Well, it's been three and a half years since I dropped it off and I only ever called her once and that wasn't until she had it two years. I don't know what to do but I also feel that I should have had this back a long time ago. I took it to her before she changed her mind and I'm sure other "friends" have had their mounts there and back already. I'm starting to forget what a woodcock even looks like.
rich........when you do that do you ask or expect the deposit back or its gone? just curious.........im about to do the same.....i have a squirrel at a taxidermist for 2 and a half years.....and keep getting the run around when i call.....for a long time i didnt call......now i call every couple months JUST because he tells me a couple more months...i called at the 1yrs mark because he said about a year..then a couple more months......so i always call him when he tells me it should be done......he!! once he tried to tell me he started it....then the next time i called he didnt mention starting it...siad he got real busy......i was like ya ok BS buddy first in first out! hes a money maker.....deer and big game from THIS year are done and back already......hes working on small stuff from years ago....im going to get it back soon as i talk to my new taxidermist when i get my fish back.....which been right about exzactly a year...to the day
An answer to both of you is , at my shop if I have started the work then the deposit is lost but if it sat in my freezer I would give the deposit back. Everone has there own policy, but thats how I do it. My turnaround time is between 6-12 months and most of the time it is quicker, I receive more customers by turning the work over ASAP. Animals sitting in my freezer are not making me any money, completed mounts are paid for and I have made my money.

Rich
Old 05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just because someone does it full time does not mean anything. What you need to look for is someone that you like their work and get along with. You should find someone that you trust. Just because someone does it full time does not mean they do quality work or that they are faster than a part timer. That being saidI would go and get your stuff back. You may lose your deposit but what have you got to lose. Some of the greatest in taxidermy only do it part time, so don't be afraid of a part timer, look for quality and you should leave there thinking you made a good exchange.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personal and public thanks to Rich
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for the info rich.....im giving him a call this week.....or maybe ill just show up at his shop....i find its harder for people to lie to your face....i gota talk to my new taxidermist...he does all other game...but i dont know if he does squirrels.....im sure he will for me though...and ill be getting my fish from him too..he should be calling any day now....he got busy skinning turkeys...which i totally understand....he doesnt have tons of giant freezers....he been small time taxidermy all his life...and an artist all his life...won alot of awards painting turkey feathers and such....hes building clientel to go full time and quit his day job....hes a great guy...we even went fishing once...i rather have him do it then wait longer....
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I just got off the phone with her. First off, she was actually someone I knew quite well and went to school with. We both knew each other most of our lives and her work is outstanding. She was also just opening a shop in our hometown and I thought I would support a local business owner and a friend. This is the main reason I went to her and waited over two years before making the first call. Well, back to the point. After speaking with her on the phone I got the real story as to why she's taking so long. Apparantly she's behind on A LOT of other people's mounts and they must call her constantly about them so she puts theirs ahead of mine since they are more of a pain in her butt. She said, I'm sorry that a good guy like you who understands and is patient keeps getting put back but I have to get these others off my back so I'm putting theirs before yours. I asked her if she had some type of time frame and she said "I could give you one but I'd be lying". I was honestly in shock at her answers. I guess it really doesn't pay to be the nice guy when it comes to dealing with some people. I also know she started it and I sure as heck am not taking my mount back without the $100 deposit since none of this is my fault. I guess I'll just have to call her every couple of months to get my name put on the list if that's how she's prioritizing them.[:@]
Old 05-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Well good luck with your adventure.Hope everything works outv for you.

Rich