Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 ALL taxidermists please read, offer ideas... >

ALL taxidermists please read, offer ideas...

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

ALL taxidermists please read, offer ideas...

Old 03-27-2006, 11:21 PM

Default ALL taxidermists please read, offer ideas...

I just got a deer back tonight from the taxidermist. It looks great , except the antlers are mounted on the form leaning about 30 degrees too far forward. This deer was just put together a week ago. This forward antler lean is killing me. Is there ANYPOSSIBLE way to realign the antlers??
I didn't know if the hide in the back of the head could be worked loose and the skull tweaked a little or not? I'm sure it wouldn't be simple.I don't know the first thing about taxidermy, but I know this rack was put on wrong. Anybody have any comments or ideas, please reply.

Thanks, - cap.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ALL taxidermists please read, offer ideas...

Yes... if you are a taxidermist. Do not attempt without the proper training and experience. You can rehydrate it and open it back up, reset and hten resew.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Just how far forward are they, is it beyond the nose ?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

I am not a taxidermist but wanted to know what did the taxidermist that mounted the deer say about it? I would think that if it is wrong they might be willing to make it right.

-john
Old 03-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a general rule, the first few inches of the antlers should be angled the same as the forehead. Look at the mount from the side and the horns should run into the forehead. And I would take it back to the guilty one.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 PM

Yep, any taxidermist worth a darn could pop it open, chisel or just unscrew the antlers out, adjust and reset them. Sew it up, apologize, and send you on your way.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I haven't talked with the taxidermist yet. I'm thinking about taking it to someone from out of town to have fixed. The reason is because I REALLY like the taxidermist I used. He did another big buck for me this year that is just awesome, plus he is a friend and a really good-hearted guy. I think maybe it was just an oversight on his part.So, I'm afraid if I took it back to him Imight hurt his feelings or he might worry about if I'm really upset or not. I don't want to embarrass him. I know it's a business and that I ought to be able to take it back and there be no hard feelings, but I happen to know the guy is going through a lot of "stuff" right now and I just don't want to put more on him. Like I said, he really is a great guy, I'm certainly not trying to bash him, I just mainly wanted to know if it could be done. I appreciate the responses from everyone.

BTW Alex the hawk, The tips of the beams are straight up above the nose. I have a bunch of pics that I've carefully compared the mount to and its obvious the rack leans forward a good 25 degrees or more. It's straight every other way, just leans too far forward.

Am I making a mistake by taking it elsewhere?? My plan was to have someone else who was reputable fix it without giving them this guys name, cause I don't want anyone talkin' trash about him..

What do you all think??
Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

captain - I wouldn't take to anyone else. Most taxidermist can recognize others work, at least in my area I can. If this guy is a friend, treat him like one. Go to him and explain to him, like a friend. He shouldn't have a problem with it, especially if he is going through "some stuff". I would think he would want to know and would want to fix it. If he doesn't want to, then take it to someone else, but only as a last resort. Just my thoughts.