Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Burned by Taxidermist >

Burned by Taxidermist

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Burned by Taxidermist

Old 01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Spike

Default Burned by Taxidermist

Any advice? In June 2005, I traveled from upstate NY to Pa to bring my son on a shooting preserve hunt. He bow harvested his first big game trophy, a ram. As we were in a hurry to leave, I stupidly hired a taxidermist in the parking lot of the preserve. He took my son's ram and a $100. deposit and returned to Philipi WV. Since that time, I have left him at least 20 phone messages, but not once has he answered or returned my calls.(I have been very polite and professional in each message left, no profanity or threats) I have now filed a claim by mail in his WV town. He has responded to the court admitting that he has my money and cape, but still won't answer my calls to set up a settlement. If this goes to trial, I will have to go to WV for the hearing. I can ,however have someone be my proxy. The name of this business is Hugh's Taxidermy in Phillippi WV. Does anyone know this guy or have any advice as to how I should proceed? Please don't call me stupid, as I have already done that. Fred
Old 01-12-2006, 03:51 PM

Default RE: Burned by Taxidermist

If He hasn't responded as you say, then you are taking the correct action.
You may want to call the game and fish in that town and see if they can check this guy out for you.

7 months is really not as long as many think if the guy is busy, and he might not be all to blame, the tannerys can take their sweet time also, I have stuff from last year that now is when the skins arrived from the tannery.

Some guys do their own tannery but sheep and goats really need to be tanned and de-smelled or you'll have a stinky mount for years.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Alex in that 7 months isn't that long, but not returning a phone call or at least contacting to let him know what's going on. If it were me I'd pursue legal actions. I don't care how busy a taxidermist is, taking 5 min to talk to a customer is rediculous. I work 40 - 50 hrs a week at my day job, plus 20 - 30 hrs a week doing taxidermy, plus family time. Plus working with various business' about websites. Now I am busy but if one of my clients were to call me I'd drop whatever to listen. It's called being professional.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM

Is there a way to get the stink out of a mount.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Spike

7 months isn't that long BUT he should still respond to your phone calls. Good luck hopefully it will work out in the end.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Spike

I realize that seven months is not all that long to wait for this mount. However he responded to my civil complaint that he still has the sheep in its original condition. This means that he has not done a thing with it. Also when I checked on him before the complaint, I found out that his business phone is his cell phone, and there is no listing for his business in any local directory. I am looking at a 10 hour drive and expenses to get this guy. If it were my trophy, I would chalk it up to my extreme stupidity, but it is my son's and I really want to get this taken care of, both to get his mount and also to show him that the crooks of the world do not always win. Ijust wish that I could find someone who knows this guy or lives nearby who would be willing to intervene or help on my behalf. His "shop "Hugh's Taxidermy", Phillippi, WV. God, was I stupid!!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

7 months is really not as long as many think if the guy is busy, and he might not be all to blame, the tannerys can take their sweet time also, I have stuff from last year that now is when the skins arrived from the tannery.
I don't care if he's as busy as a bumble bee in a syrup bucket ...he couldbe courteous enoughto return a phone call ..no excuses for that IMO ...

dd
Old 01-13-2006, 01:39 PM

Starrow, yes, we all know how you COULD have avoided this, and it sounds like you know as well, so no sense beating you up over it. I wish stuff like this never happened, but sadly it does. Try this...go to www.taxidermy.net and look at the state association link. You might have to scroll around and navigate a bit. Find WV's state site, and make contact with the new president, as he might be able to steer you through. Id give you more info, but I just dont have it off the top of my head. That would be a decent start. Other then that, hes probably just going to attempt to satify the court decision, you may need to just let the process work. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:34 PM

7 months maybe normal time...but there is no reason for not answering any of the 20 phone calls

-Joe
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, i just gotta know, have you made contact yet?

Quick Reply: Burned by Taxidermist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.