Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Habitat Question. >

Habitat Question.

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Habitat Question.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Spike

Default Habitat Question.

I've got a question out there for all of you fine taxidermists. I shot a boar in TX this past month and brought the head home to do a european mount. I finished the European mount and it looks pretty good. Now I'm thinking of a way to display it. I've already got 2 wall pedastal mounts with whitetails and I was thinking of purchasing a recessed base and doing my own desert/Texas Brushtype habitat to have the skull set in. Really all I need is a small recessed plaque and some materials to create the habitat itself. I've been looking at some things to create the habitat (Wasco instant base mix, foam, etc.) and have found some good ideas, but I was wondering what suggestions you have for creating some sort of dirt/sand habitat and what else i could add - small rocks, fake cactus, etc. Any feedback would be great. I love taxidermy and really respect the work you guys do.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Habitat Question.

Elmers white glue and sand will make a great base, you will only need a couple of pieces of material put in the mix.Less is better.

Rich

http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooter, here's the easiest way I know of. Find a piece of blue construction foam, slightly bigger than your plaque. Use the blue foam, it won't fall apart. SHape it to fit your plaque and shape it how you want it. Mix Elmer's and dirt to a peanut butter consistency, spread over faom. While it's drying sprinkle dirt over it. Go to Michael's or Ben Franklins or another hobby shop, buy whatever plants you want . Viola! Simple - fast
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

What type of blue construction foam are you referring to? What type of store would I find it?
ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Shooter, here's the easiest way I know of. Find a piece of blue construction foam, slightly bigger than your plaque. Use the blue foam, it won't fall apart. SHape it to fit your plaque and shape it how you want it. Mix Elmer's and dirt to a peanut butter consistency, spread over faom. While it's drying sprinkle dirt over it. Go to Michael's or Ben Franklins or another hobby shop, buy whatever plants you want . Viola! Simple - fast
Old 03-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes use the 1" blue foam that they sell at Blowe's or HD, the 2" stuff they use under industrial roofs. It isn't little balls of foam. They use 1" under vinyl siding. It's the only blue foam they sell. You can cut it to shape using a small saw, then use a rough file to final shape it.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks nctaxi, I'll give that a try next time I do a habitat base, I have been using floral foam, but would like to try something different.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 PM