Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

what a buck!

Old 02-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what a buck!

Nice mount ..good looking buck ...Im not real crazy about the legs on the mount but all and all its very nice

dd
Old 02-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I was almost right. The cape looked very whitetail to me, and it is.
I was looking at the ears, and they are whitetail all the way. I have seen a few pics of hybrids and your cape had whitetail ears and lacked the batman forehead of mulies. Therefore, I guessed mulie horns on a whitetail cape. The brisket line looks alot different to me at work, on a CRT screen. I think those horns are awesome! Are they not rare to have such huge hybrid horns? I read somewhere that hybrids normally don't live very long because they get confused between the different survival instincts of the two species. I also read that they stumble and have an awkward gait. I don't know firsthand, could be "wives tales".
Old 02-20-2006, 12:29 PM

The mulie/WT cross is really kinda cool, that is, unless you are a mulie! WT and blacktails were the two that came first, and their meeting up for a second time is what produced the mulie. Mitochodrial DNA proves this, as its taken from the female side of the equation, which is the trace back side. Its neat stuff. This evolution will one day eliminate mulies, because thishybrid dilutes or eliminates one very important trait that mulies use to escape predators. Mulies stot, and WTs bound. WT have the ability to bound over most terrain and dont stop till theyre secure or feel safe. Stotting is when the animal sort of zig zags in such a way so as to put obstacles in the way, like jumping past a rock, then zigging back so the rock is now in the line of pursuit from the predator.

I cant be sure, but I think what livbucks is seeing is that demarcation between the body hairs going down the neck meeting the brisket and armpit hairs going up, in the opposite direction. Its the way its supposed to be, though. Thats what creates the flair in front. Its somewhat exaggerated with that particular form style.

Manboy, I dont comment on others work in here, I guess you already know why. I can help you on a couple things with that particular form choice, though. I can say that if you soften the musculature along the neck muscles on that mount, it wont make the pose look so twisted. Even brushing the hair crossways over those existing muscle lines will help you, again, to soften and make the pose more subtle. Also, when using that shift and twist pose, adjusting the ear rotation and eye rotation to look and focusthat same direction. That really nails that look when you do this.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 PM

thanks bill,
i am always looking for a little insight on looks for any mount i do. it is not the best done, but for a redneck in wyoming that only gets 1 wt for 7-8 muley its not bad. will post some more pics as i get mounts done thanks again.