Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Hows it look.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hows it look.

Heres my buck I got from the taxidermist. He does quite a bit of heads and is pretty well known. Some of the things I see when I go in make ya wanna have so bad. So what are the good points, bad points of the mount? I am gonna try mounting a deer next fall so now I have something to go off of. One thing I notice was a lot of black around the eyes, especially behind them, but overall I like it a lot. The taxidermist usually does both ears back, but on mine he did one infront of the horns, and I think it looks awesome.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hows it look.

looks good to me
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the pose. Looks nice. Like you said, they main thing that stuck out was the dark around the eyes... just a little toomuch black above the eyes. But it's hard to tell, with just one pic. Nice looking mount though. It's a great looking cape, with the white frosty face. Congrats
Old 02-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps the dark coloring occured naturally. Is it the hair that is dark? It could always be touched up with an airbrush if you don't like it. Deer are individuals and never look the same as each other. Take a closeup and post it. I'm sure you will get a solution to the situation from somebody here who knows how to deal with it.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Never use a mount as reference. Only trust pictures of live deer. Almost every supplier sells reference pictures, but there's also many that can be found for free by doing some internet searches.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:05 PM

Nice mount to me! Looks good!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am getting a mount done right now by a friend of my Dad's who is a darn good taxidermist. I wanted that buck to be my first try but wasn't ready in time for an attempt. I will usehis workas a benchmark to judge my own work against. I realize that I should not use his work as reference but only to judge the quality of my own workmanship when finished.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Heres a pic of the eye.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like some sort of staining coming thru the hide. I'm no expert but I think some airbrushing is in order. Just doesn't look right, but anything can be fixed (almost).
Old 02-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It may be an easy fix, depending on the type of paint that was used. If some laquer based paint was used, thinning it out with some thinner, and then re-painting it would be what I'd do. Either way, personally I'd at least talk to the taxidermists, tell him what you think, and I'm sure he'd offer to change the color.

Look at reference and thecolors won't be that black around the whole eye. There will be some black around the lid, but not the whole eye. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Hows it look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.