Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Anything I should know? >

Anything I should know?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Anything I should know?

Old 01-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anything I should know?

Ill be getting my deer head back in the next month or 2 and its my first mount of any sort so im curious is there anything I need to know about careing for it and what to do and not to do around it? This is my best deer ever so I want the mount to last forever as well so what should I know about it? Thanks, sean
Old 01-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anything I should know?

Just wipe the dust off from time to time with a damp rag. Don't hang it above a "working" fireplace. The heat isn't the best thing for it.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:41 PM

Wipe of the dust or you can blow it off with an air gun ( lightly). Don't hang it over a fire place or a heater. Also keep it out of direct sun light ( windows) because it will eventually sun bleach the hait. Clean the eye's with a Q-Tip and windex. Keep windex off skin around eyes. You can wipe the horns down with old english.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:55 PM

When I saw this post I was going to answer you by saying tojust ask the guy mounting it, as he knows whats best for his mount style, and besides, theres lots of opinion on this. Then I read the replies so far, and then I knew Id answer this way! I have different opinions about some of this. I dont care to contradict these nice people here, so Ill leave it as...be sure to check with the guy mounting it!
Old 01-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy some hair sheen from your taxidermist. It does a great job when applied to the antlers too. Don't do too much with it. I truly think the less you touch it overall the better. Petting a dead deer leaves skin oils on the hair whick turn black over time and attract dirt. Just look at it mostly.