Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

NEW TOY.....

Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 AM

Default NEW TOY.....

I didn't even have to be good to get it.
Just got it in the mail today. Still got to finninsh it out and stain it. Then mount it! It Net 203 B&C. The ruler in the picture is an 18 inch ruler. I can't remember but I think the rack is 21 inches inside.

Bill Yox,

This is the repo I bought from Dave. Looks real good!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:09 AM

Default RE: NEW TOY.....

Looks good! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

[/align]
Old 01-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like the rack on the cover of the McKenzie Catalog #31.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just looked....it isn't.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:39 PM

I didn't buy this one from McKenzie I bought it from Dave Ringstrom ( I hope I got the last name right) off of the Taxidermy Forums. I gave $250 + $25 shipping for it. I got my moneys worth by far. It's a nice repo. Better than what I expected. He has 14 maybe more to choose from. I know he has them from 160 class to I beleive 240 class. I already have my eye on 2 more of them. I am just an antler nut.

Havn't decided if I want to buy a Northern cape for it or use one of my southern capes.

I know I am going to mount him on a Semi-Sneek Head Up with a lip curl. Igot to get some customer work out of the way first so Ican work onthis.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you put the effort into finishing the horns? I saw some repro racks
mounted at Gander Mountain and you could see from 50 feet that they weren't real. No effort was made to stain and distress them. The were just plopped on and that's it. Weird....
Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM

Were they still white or just a realy bad job of staining? This is my first set of repos soI will post a pic after I get done staining them. I am going to call Dave befor I do anything to them. He offered to talk me through the procedure. I might try staining them this weekend.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:51 PM

Michelle, yep, Dave does really nice repros. Thats why I agreed with you when you mentioned buying from him, you couldnt go wrong. When I color them, I like to add the bark packed into the bases too. Dave will most likely explain that to you as well. Have fun!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:35 PM

That would be cool. If he doesn't I'll be sure to ask. That would add a nice touch and give it a realistic look about the rack. I never realy thought aboout that. I am glad you mentioned it.

I'm sending you a PM Bill.....
Old 01-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Michelles_Taxidermy

Were they still white or just a realy bad job of staining?
I guess it was just a half attempt at staining them. They weren't completely plain but you can tell right off that they were repros. I think a little distressing will go a long way toward realism. These had hard edges and were basically one shade. Real antlers have areas that show lighter from being rubbed and little (sometimes not so little) chips and breaks, scratches, dried bark or crusty old velvet in the burrs. I love a rack with polished white tips, I arrowed one so many years ago. I would think that rubbing the burr tips and point tips somewhat with steel wool to show lighter after staining would be cool. The outsideedge of the main beam usually shows some abuse also.Just my observations, mind you. I've never done it myself. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.