Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

got my owl back

Old 02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: got my owl back

I have to disagree with you Mr. Yox. I was running a trapline while I was in high school. While checking my line one morningand startled a Great Horned owl while walking in and he dropped a bird from his talons as he flew off. Upon further inspection, there it be a still warmmature malering-necked pheasant with no head. He killed it and I assume he planned to eat it before I interrupted his morning breakfast!
ORIGINAL: Bill Yox

Owls dont eat pheasants....thats so basic, youre talking about birds on different "shifts", lol. Now, owls DO eat skunks, one of the few birds that will, and we DO know how many pheasant nests a skunk will destroy...In a balance, all the prey and predators are beneficial.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:55 PM

Fair enough...let me rephrase, then...Pheasants are active days, owls are active dusk and night, for the most part. Therefore, owls are not a big impact on the pheasants. Definitly not based on their impact the other way. ...That should take care of the exception to the rule! I should know better then to say never, with regards to nature. Thanks, dblung. Oh yeah, and "Mr. Yox"??? Hey my man, friends call me Bill. My Dad was Mr.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

I always address my elders by Mr. Just kidding Bill, I'll remember next time! lol
Old 02-02-2006, 09:47 PM

Ok, thats it, Im going to remember YOU, hahaha. Just funnin' with ya!
Old 02-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone old enough on here to remember "Mr. Bill" from SNL.
OHHHH NOOOO!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

livbucks, unfortunately yes, I remember..

My moms husband, a former PGC (game official for non PA people) has a great horned owl mount...he acquired it as a PGC but it's beat up, we use it for crow hunting....oh yeah the crows hate it...
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

THey should never be shot, they are a very beneficial bird, one adult owl can eat 12 mice a night.

In Cuba where they are killed for witchcraft, they have a major rat problem.

Just let them be.
LOL ..in Cuba the BIGGEST rat is Castro

dd
Old 02-19-2006, 11:00 PM

with bald or golden eagles its illegal to posses even a feather.now,come on, is that ridiculus or what?there are so many bald eagles in washington that in the summer you can't go to vancouver lake without seeing one.or two.or sometimes three.the laws are crazy in america.but i am very content with most of the laws on the posession of hawks ,owls,eagles,or falcons.

it is a waste to see any un used carcass.most people will see a hawk,deer,or rabbit or something and say "ohhhhhh,what a poor little animal....."then they see a rat, or a possum or a coyote and say get that nasty thing off my porch!".thats what fuels animal rights activists.cute animals.they dont protest for ugly animals.you always see people on tv protesting about the dolphin that got stuck in the tuna net.well what about the tuna in the tuna net!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are so many bald eagles in washington that in the summer you can't go to vancouver lake without seeing one.or two.or sometimes three.
Heck, here in Kansas, the hawks are so thick, you're lucky to see only 2-3 per mile on the lines. Every though I'm able to see first hand, the damage they do to the upland bird population, legally I can't touch them either. I used to raise a large amount of pheasants. I'd loose hundreds of dollars worth of pheasants yearly to owls and hawk.

But they are the smartest birds I've ever seen. A very interesting bird. Here's a scenario. I pheasant flies at full speed near the top of the net. The owl or hawk is able to reach through the net, and grab the bird by the neck/head, while in flight. An amazing feat, though very discouraging to find headless pheasants in my flight pens...

I've seen the raptorsdo it, and occasionally even get their claws caught in the net themselves. Too bad controlled shooting of raptors in selected areas, wasn't legally available.

Bald Eagles are becomingpretty common around North-Central Kansas as well. The publicsay they consume mainly fish. But Kansas isn't know for being the "Land of a Million Lakes", if you know what I mean... haha Even though there are many more factors (Farming Practices and Weather as Majority), raptors are a fraction of the cause of the decimating population of upland game.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 AM

Oh youll get no argument from me on the fact that predatory birds hammer prey birds! Some regions are different then others as well. Where I am, upland birds are not as common. Hawks and owls still are, though. Rodents are the top table fare here. I dont know why guys who have birds of prey problems dont double net the tops of their flight pens. I know that stuff is pricey, but a canopy that stretches across the top and above the containment netting would discourage those net zappers, because of the buffer zone inbetween. Then those hawks and owls can do what they are supposed to do, and clean up all the mice and rats that feed on the waste feed around the pens. KShunter, I think youll chuckle when I describe this...every bird breeder I know has a tall pole with a barely visible jaw trap stapled to the top. When asked of the obvious, they to a man reply that its for ...raccoons! Hahaha, so it goes!

Quick Reply: got my owl back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.