Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

deer mounts

Old 01-25-2006, 07:29 AM

Default RE: deer mounts

Mine has been gone 13 months. He says he started and it should be done in 2 weeks.Can't wait!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:48 PM

My return time has hovered right around that 2 yr period as well. Im sure glad theres guys who think like the previous post above me or we would be even longer! Im also certainly glad theres enough guys out there who see something in our work worth waiting 2 years for as well, otherwise me and others wouldnt be that far out on return dates! Its all about what the customer is looking for, and his priorities of the process.
11/2 year to 2 years in my shop, if not take it to one of those good taxidermist that someone said there's a lot of them,LOL
Some think that good is fast,not in taxidermy.
Yep..like I said there's too many good taxidermist to have to wait two yrs..but I guess everybody's the best in this business. I personally do my own taxidermy work and have been since the middle 60's.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 PM

Im not sure why youd take exception to my comments. I stated a fact about return times of my studio and did not knock anyone else. Nor did I make any claim about my quality. Its quite obvious, based on my waiting list, that there are those out there who DO believe its worth the wait, otherwise I wouldnt have had such a waiting list for so many years in the first place. Its the customers opinion that counts, not mine.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Spike

I do it part time ( 20-30 heads) and get them done in 3-6 months. ( before haying starts!) So far I haven't gotten backlogged and would probably turn away work before that happened. And yes, its quality work.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:04 AM

I just stated a fact.."there's too many good taxidermist to have to wait two yrs. on a deer head."
Your comment was disingenuious..saying you are glad there's people like me who wouldn't wait two yrs. is like saying you're glad you don't get the extra business.
I didn't bring you into the fray you brought me. I just stated a fact. If people want to wait two yrs. fine..just don't gripe about it when there's so many up and coming taxidermist that can do a fine job on a deer head.
Far as the everybody's the best comment I made..seems like the justification of having to wait so long on deer heads is to say you got it mounted by so and so...and again..get in line if that's your thing..don't matter to me, I'm just saying there's shorter lines all around and one would never know the difference in the end product if you do a little homework on who's doing it. Some mounts other than deer heads I can see the wait.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:56 PM

Ifly, I have been in the taxidermy forums on different siteslong enough to have seen this coming. Ive seen comments like yours before, as well as the typical response others post defensively to it. So, my original comment saying Im glad some feel YOUR way as well as MY way was simply so others wouldnt feel the need to become defensive about your opinion. I simply was attempting to validate both opinions. This same topic has been posted numerous times, with the same results. Typically the guys with too much work say its because theyre good, and say the guys who are caught up dont do a good job. Those who get them out fast say the slower return shops are over rated. Its the same old argument for years, like DP vs tan.Ive ALWAYS maintained that BOTH time frames are common, fast returns and long waiting lines, thus both are accepted. If it werent, there wouldnt be a waiting list at all! I have over 50 taxidermists within an hour of me...the slow guys and the fast ones all have a lot of work. Guys who want them returned within a year are just not going to wait for a guy like me, period. I wasnt being disingenous, trust me.

I know guys expect me to say that folks wait for me because of my work, blah blah. But I dont. I dont need to, quite frankly. See, other taxidermists and I have these conversations all the time, trust me. We laugh at how guys couldnt tell a good one from an honestly bad one. We laugh at price shopping taxidermy. We laugh at how guys put their deerhead ahead of all else, and basically lose their minds over it. Yet, at the same time, we thank our lucky stars that guys DO have such a passion for their trophies, its what we as taxidermists are all about. I know EXACTLY what I meant when I posted the comment you took exception to. Trust me, it was posted to AGREE with your perspective, not ridicule you. I dont even know you, and like I said, and Im swamped. You just didnt recognize my intent.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:42 PM

Just for the record..I didn't post to step on toes..I'm a firm believer that good taxidermists are worth every red cent they charge. They earn it...I mounted two heads for a couple of friends back in the early 70's and they almost drove me crazy with the "is it ready yet" phone calls and I told myself way back then I'd never, ever mount another head or anything else for anybody but me..and haven't and won't.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Ifly, I envy you. I know lots of guys who learned because they wanted to do their own stuff. I think I always wanted to mount trophies for people. I know I seldom do one for myself! Thats the only thing Id ever change, having more time to sit back and enjoy doing it for ME!

For the record, too many fulltimers (which I am one) look down their noses at the so-called part timer or hobbyst (which I do not). To me, a part timer is the smartest guy out there. He most likely has a paying job and may allow taxidermy to simply please him or supplement his income. The part timer probably doesnt haveas muchpressure to get them out either. Most part timers I know have almost as much work as some full time studios, too.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

I did not mean to start a fight on line. I have been doing taxidermy for over 30 years and I love it. My postion if asked now would be, - completed work turnaround 6-8 months. The longer we get into the season the longer it takes. I moved from my old location, and have just about started over with my business. At my old location I had 4 full time employees and we took in 250 plus heads and more lifesize and birds etc than I care to remember. Now I am the only person in my shop which is 4 times larger and I am here 7 days a week 12-14 hours a day. I am not complaining I love to come into work every day. But what I am getting at is, it takes time to do a good job. When I get to a turnaround time over a year I will hire some help to keep my customers happy. I find that I keep more customers happy with my turnaround time under a year. The quality is still exc. and I can make a living at it.Bill is a great taxidermist, Iv'e meet years ago and what ever he is doing works for him. We are all different.
Thanks
Rich
www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
Old 01-27-2006, 11:31 PM

RGS, nah, you didnt start anything. Its just a touchy type of subject sometimes. IFLY and I just misunderstood each other at first, thats all. Ill tell you what, Ill be alot happier once Im back down to a year or so again! I try to adjust what I take in to help that, and to be up front with the customer. Not much else you can do! Other than make sure whatever you do, you give them a mount worth that long wait.

Quick Reply: deer mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.