Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Making a deer hide blanket... >

Making a deer hide blanket...

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Making a deer hide blanket...

Old 12-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Making a deer hide blanket...

I am wanting to make a deer hide blanket. I have been gathering alot of hide from my friend whos dad works at a shop/taxidermist and with the deer thats in there and the deer that they kill Im almost to the point to where I can start. But I have a few questions, since its gonna be a blanket, how do you suggest I get the hide tanned? Should I get it fleshed all the way down like you would if you were mounting it, or just take the meat off and the nasty bits but leave the white part (fat I guess??) on? What kind of thread do you suggest my mom use? Shes a really really good sewer and loves sewing, so I figured this could be a good project for her. Im also thinking of putting some batting in the middle, to make like a quilt so its really warm. Im gonna make it a sandwich, so the fur is on both sides of the blanket. I love the feel of deer hair.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Making a deer hide blanket...

That almost sounds kinky!
Can you imagine how warm that would be?
You could turn the heat almost off at night.
Great idea!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Making a deer hide blanket...

the best way, is to send it off to a tannery and have it professionally tanned. Doing it yourself often leads to results that are less than perfect. It takes alot of work to shave a hide thin enough, then "breaking" it and oiling it and breaking it somemore. I've done one and I did a beaver rug, I'll never do it again! Just a little advise: deer hair makes terrible blankets. They willlook good fora while, but deer hair is hollow and pretty fragile. It doesn't take alot to break the hairs off. Just my advise.