Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Soaking Deer Hides >

Soaking Deer Hides

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Soaking Deer Hides

Old 12-10-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Soaking Deer Hides

My uncle shot a doe last week and gave me the hide to tan. He doesnt want any fur left on it, only the finished leather. Ive tanned pelts but have never taken the fur off. People have told me to soak it. If i do this will the fur just fall out or will i have to pull it out?

thanks for any advice!
Old 12-11-2005, 06:09 AM

Default RE: Soaking Deer Hides

First flesh the hide. Here's what you do next. Take 6 TB of Red Devil Lye and mix it in a 30 Gallon Trash Can filled 2/3 full of water. Stir real good to dissolve the lye. Then add the hide and weigh it down with a brick or something so that all the hide is under the water and fully covered with lye water. Let it sit for 3-6 days. Depending upon the temperature of the water it will start to come out with effort after 3 days, and very easily after 6 days. Remove the hide wring water and remove the hair. You may need a blunt object to help remove the hair. If you want full grain leather becareful you don't remove the grain at this point, if you want to make buckskin then you WILL remove the grain at this point. You will then need to put it in either a creek for a day to rinse the alkalinith out of the hide or let it sit in a week acid water solution made with cide vinegar. I can't remember the proportion though 1pt of vinegar to ?? water.