Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 sad..hair fell out..Why? >

sad..hair fell out..Why?

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

sad..hair fell out..Why?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Default sad..hair fell out..Why?

My first try with a deer head kit.. it has been in and out of the freezer while in the process of getting all the red meat and fat off. tonight I was thinning the skin a little then planned to salt it...I guess I waited to long to salt it ... The hair on the head started falling out alot...Help please.. what did I do wrong. I have three local shops to try to find the same size cape. tanned. One is a friend...Any idea on a cost for the spike cape? thanx for any replys.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:16 PM

Default RE: sad..hair fell out..Why?

I have done just a few myself and yes it sounds like you waited to long to salt. The salt kills bateria that will cause the hide to start decaying and shrinks the pours in the skin this holds the hair folical in tight. Again I don't do many But sounds like that was the prob. The guy that does all my work also told me after salting turn all the skin inward so only fur is showing and place the hide on a inclined board this helps drain the bacteria and any excess moisture away from the hide. Then you begin removing any meat left behind. I'm told you can get another cape and still have the rack mounted. Considering getting an old rack I have done that way.....