Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Velvet on Antlers >

Velvet on Antlers

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Velvet on Antlers

Old 07-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Velvet on Antlers

how can i preserve velvet on a set of antlers i have without having to pay a big fee?

i've heard of using borax. is this the cheapest way, and what is the process for it?

Zach
Old 07-13-2005, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Velvet on Antlers

Lets back up. Borax is NOT a preservative, just a moth proofer. Im not sure how big a fee is too big for you, but heres some help. Aside from cost, lets just talk about what works first. If its summer velvet rack from this time of year, it must be frozen immediately. Theres too much blood and fluid in them to stay stable. From there I reccommend freeze drying them. Thats done in a chamber, not in a frost free freezer like some might suggest. If its a late velvet, like a September Mulie for example, now you have some options. If you wanna come back with specifics, Ill help you out. I can reccommend a freeze dryer in your area as well, Id guess. Let me know...
Old 07-13-2005, 01:35 PM

Bill I do taxidermy also.How do you do your deer noses. I puddy mine and then take the roller over them and it turns out pretty nice.My buddy just paints his.I know you definitely know what your talkin bout so what is your method?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:04 PM

I prefer to build up and paint those small pads within the nose pad individually. I think Im able to seperate the dark pads from the lighter hair follicles better this way, and get a softer fleshy look. I guess you should keep doing what your customers seem to like best!