Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Velvet Deer Antlers >

Velvet Deer Antlers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Velvet Deer Antlers

Old 06-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Velvet Deer Antlers

I cut some antlers from a road kill deer and it was in velvet...i was wondering what i should do to make sure that the velvet stays on...or should i just let the thing dry out...its been in the sun for about 2 days...can you please help
Old 06-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Velvet Deer Antlers

Maybe i am mistaken, but i thought it was illegal to possess velvet antlers unless you had a tag for the deer and it had been registered. This is in WI. But if you find a deer on the side of the road, they will give you a free tag to use. maybe I am remembering wrong.

I checked the regs. and it is written as:

"It is illegal to: ...Possess deer antlers in velvet....deer with antlers in velvet or in spotted coat may be harvested during the open deer season, however to keep the antlers or spotted hide the hunter must contact a warden within 7 days of tagging the deer and request written authorization.The velvet antlers may not be sold or transferred to another......If Vehicle-killed contact your sherriff's department to obtain a tag before moving the deer so that the carcass, or part of the carcass can be legally posessed."

Your state may be different.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

from what I've heard, you have to freeze dry them , which is fairly expensive or you can put them in a deep freeze for a year or so
Old 06-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Freeze drying is the preferred method of preserving the velvet, but freezing them in a standard freezer for a year or so will do the trick as well. The whole point is to get all of the moisture out of them.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 PM

I'm NOT sure where this young fellow is from but where I'm from (West Virginia) you can pick up a road kill and do whatever you want to do with it. They just passed a law a few years back letting you do so, before you had to call either agame officeror sheriff deputy to allow you to take the dead animal. Also, if the animal is NOT completely dead, you have to call an officer to come and shoot the animal.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

people quit with the rule books,i know everyone doesnt ALWAYS go by the book,not saying i dont go by the book but im sure if this guy is asking about the antlers on a HUNTING site....he knows the rules
Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM

[quote] dont go by the book but im sure if this guy is asking about the antlers on a HUNTING site....he knows the rules

[hr]

Not so sure he does, if you look at his profile, this young man is ONLY 16. Did you know ALL the rules or just a few when you were his age?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

just call a game warden or a cop and tell him the story and ask for a posession tag.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 PM

Check out this site:

http://www.taxidermy.net

lots of great info here and helpful people:

Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I pour salt on them and put under a piece of glass in the sun for a couple momths.they will dry out/ Then bush the salt out

Quick Reply: Velvet Deer Antlers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.