Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
 who needs speed for 3-d >

who needs speed for 3-d

Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

who needs speed for 3-d

Old 08-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default who needs speed for 3-d

I went to a local shoot that was a Toys For Tots benefit shoot.All classes shot from the same stake so it was basically set up for hunters.Fairly common bowhunter distances but for the mbr and open,it would be considered really close.

I was using my hunting setup at 53#'s and shooting a whopping 236 fps[].I only had 2, 8's all day long and 1 of them was a freaking 10 yard pig I pushed out the top with a bad release.[:@] Well,I got into a good rythum about half way through and started stroking 11's.There was probably only 20 visible 11'sthat could be counted and I ended up with (9)11's.(Would have had more if they would have been in the targets.)

Ended with a 305 and was quite content.[:-]

Point is,you still have to judge yardage,even if you are shooting a fast bow to win at 3-d.Not saying a little speed doesn't help,but don't count on it,learn to judge.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: who needs speed for 3-d

Gospel.

I'm not setting a 3D bow up to shoot 240fps though.

You need every advantage you can get.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

Gospel.

I'm not setting a 3D bow up to shoot 240fps though.

You need every advantage you can get.
I agree,but those that push the limits for ASA to try and get 287 or whatever it is they allow,probably aren't the ones winning.

Those that set their bow up with room for error at 280 -283 and actually work at judging yardage,and executing shots,are the ones winning.That 4 fps is USELESS.

I did shoot an ASA shoot at 260 fps once in open B.I didn't win or even place but I did bring home $200 from the pro am.[8D] I had to shoot twice at 3 or 4 targets and shot (2) 12's each time.Of course we were discussing yardage.[:-]

I figured out for my setup that 20 fps FROM SAME BOW,equated to just 1/2" difference in poi at 40 yards on a 3 yard missjudged target.That 1/2" might be the difference in an 8 or 5 but chances are,if you are misjudging by 3 yards,you aren't winning.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Then you would probably agree that if I misjudged a 40 yard target by 3 yards with the 236 fps it would get ugly at 40 yards.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, hopefully it was on the hot side...lol

Shooting hunter class though, I'd say she was a bit low
Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Nice shooting but I don't see many ASA shoots up here in Michigan, I'm more comfortable around the 300 fps mark. No real reason, except that I think my sight tapes are already printed out for that speed.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rhustek

Nice shooting but I don't see many ASA shoots up here in Michigan, I'm more comfortable around the 300 fps mark. No real reason, except that I think my sight tapes are already printed out for that speed.
This was an IBO rules shoot.The highest scores I have heard of was 308 in the mbr class.BUT,I believe a few were counting 11's even when no visible 11 was in the target.I actually talked to a guy that said he did.

I would have easily had 3 more points if I did.

BUT,I could care less about a trophy or a win.I shoot for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Todd i was going to call you before last Sunday to see if you wanted to go to blackhawks last shoot of the season but i had things come up [:@]I did make the one before that. nice club!! as you told me before.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to a 'hunters'3D shoot this weekend. I'm shooting a smoking 204 fps.

I'm gunning for, oh... 150 points.

Quick Reply: who needs speed for 3-d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.