Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
 What holding weight do you prefer? >

What holding weight do you prefer?

Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

What holding weight do you prefer?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What holding weight do you prefer?

I've really been playing with this lately and I have come to the conclusion I like roughly 18lbs or so of holding weight. Well, probably 18-19lbs Anything less than that feels REALLY sloppy and anything more is a little uncomfortable. I could shoot more holding weight better than I can lower. I shoot solid groups with higher, but it wears you out, and I shoot just as well at 18lbs. So I believe I'll keep it around 18lbs for target. What about you guys?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What holding weight do you prefer?

Depends. The trick isn't a specific holding weight for me, it's a ratio of holding weight compared to mass weight of the bow. I used to geek out on a specific holding weight till I figured this out.

I can and will manipulate the mass weight of the bow now by adding/removing weight from the stabilizers to get it in tune for theholding weight I get when the bow is tuned. I seem to have much more luck with it this way, now that I have a stabilizer set that I can accomplish this with and can add the weight where I need it. As long as I'm in that 14-19lb window and the bow isn't super heavy I can get it where my shots are clean and the float pattern minimized.

On my Slayer, the Apex 7's I've had, and my Apex I shot 17-18lbs really well. Now on my Constitution I'm shooting 15lbs, with less mass weight on the bow. I fatigue less now shooting the Constitution and can make strong shots longer which is a good thing because it'stough for me to haveenough time to have great conditioning to reduce that fatigue.